Chapter 2

Mira ran into her home not closing the door after as she raced to Elfman's room. He lay on the bed sleeping and looking terribly ill, and Lisanna sitting in a chair next to him crying silently. She walked up to her sister and put a hand on her shoulder tears pooling in her vision. "Mira... You have to let me work... please..." She begged. The only job that would accept people like the Strauss family were being servants for rich masters, working for a butcher and things like that would not accept them.

"I'm sorry Lisanna, but I can't let..." Lisanna cut her off. "No! You CAN let me! I don't want to sit here doing nothing all day when you're working trying to keep us alive! But now! Elfman is sick! And... And I have to work if you want him to live. I'm going to work whether you want me to or not." She said running out of the house. "Lisanna!" Mira called but the young white haired woman did not listen.

Mira sighed as she hoped that Lisanna would reconsider her choice. She went to a small wooden door that fit into the wall and opened it. It w as dust all over, and Mira went over to a crate. If I want to get into the ball, I have to look the part. She thought opening the crate revealing many objects. She took out a yellow ball gown.

It was a one shoulder gown, it had a big blue bow that drooped down a little and the ends of the ribbon going down until the end of her knee, and it came with white gloves that ended mid-arm. The Prince's ball was in two days, and she needed to look like she belonged there. She took out her mother's old diamond earrings, and a blue rose hair accessory. She took the articles out as well as glass slippers.

She hid them underneath her bed and looked at herself in the mirror. She decided not to go to the night shift at the bar that she sometimes goes to, since Lisanna would suspect her if ever she came back and Mira wasn't there. Mira couldn't sleep at all, no matter how hard she tried. There were worst masters than Evergreen, what if Lisanna had gotten one of them if she did end up working?

The door finally creaked open and Mira shot to her feet tip toeing to see Lisanna come back. "Mira?" She asked into the darkness. Mira came out of her hiding spot and Lisanna jump a little. "Lisanna! Do you know how worried you had me?! What if something had happened to you?! I wouldn't ever have known!" Mira scolded whispering as to not wake up Elfman. "I'm sorry Mira. I found a Master though." She said and Mira's jaw dropped.  "Really?! Who is it?!" She asked panicking. "His name is Bixlow. He's one of the Prince's knights and one of his best friends." She said and Mira stopped panicking for a moment. She had never heard of a 'Bixlow' before.

"I'm starting to work tomorrow." She said heading to the room that she and Mira share. "Lisanna, I... I'm going to the ball. I'm going to the Prince's ball." She said and Lisanna looked at her in astonishment. "I thought you said that you weren't going!" She exclaimed and Mira sighed. "I wasn't going to. But I bumped into him earlier, and he dropped his pocket watch so I was going to return it to him, but his guards thought I was stealing it and he said that he must've dropped it and that I was returning it, not stealing it. I think that he might be a good man. So I'm going to go see if it's true for myself once again." She explained and Lisanna's mouth hung open. "DID HE SEE YOUR FACE!?" She almost shouted and Mira hushed her shaking her head. "No. My face was covered in dirt and filth, so I don't think so." Lisanna sighed in relief. "Even if he is a good man, he would never choose a servant if he knew that she was to be his bride. Do you have anything to wear?" She asked and I nodded. "I went in mom's chest and I'm going to wear this." She showed Lisanna the dress. Lisanna lost her breath as she marvelled at the dress' beauty. 'I never knew that mom had such fine clothing! How on Earth did she ever get it?" Lisanna asked. "Mom was a rich woman, but her brother stole all the riches from her and left her to die since she chose to marry a butcher's assistant." Mira frowned and Lisanna's brows furrowed.