The Waitress and I

One year later. One year after the day I thought had ruined my life forever. Here I stand in my club with the opening night just around the corner. I am sitting in my office finalising the last couple order for the opening night when Mary enters.

"Hey gorgeous" she smiles warmly. "We are done with the arrangements of the furniture and décor in the VIP section. I need you to come see if there is anything you would like me to change or move or if you are happy as is."

"Sure thing. Even though I know everything will be perfect. I trust your judgement you know." I reply sweetly as I get up and walk towards her. I take a seat on the edge of my desk and pull her in closer. "Thank you so much for everything. I wouldn't have been able to do this without you, you know. You have been amazing."

She leans in for a kiss "Anything for you. As long as you are happy and smiling, I'll be happy and smiling. That's all that matters"

"You make me happy. Thank you" I small at her and pull her into my arms.

The day one year ago Cathy and I decided it might be better for us to rather go our separate ways. I just felt to guilty about what I have done to her and she was hurting to much at that moment to see a future for us. We parted with no hard feelings and we still have contact and talk from time to time. I guess you can say we are friends now. Something I really do appreciate as she is a plus to have in ones life.

After Cathy left the hotel room that day Mary came back very concern about the state she had seen me in and left me in. Not that I had given her any choice to leave me in that state, by slamming the door in her face. By the time she returned I had calmed down a bit, apologised for my behaviour earlier and invited her in. Her shift had ended so she sat with me for al while. I talked her ears off about everything that has happened the last couple days until after Cathy left and we decided to call it quits.

We became good friends after that day. She stood by me through the difficult time and helped me to eventually get over Laura whom I haven't seen or heard from since. I don't know how it happened me and Mary ended up together, but we did and I must admit that I am happy.

"Come, come" she breaks the embrace and silence "No time to stand around. There is work to be done here. We have an opening in two days" and I can here the level of excitement in her voice which brings a huge smile to my face.

She smiles, gives me a quick peck on the cheek and walk out "Don't keep me waiting" she shouts back.

I cant help but smirk whenever she is around. She is really good to me. She went through so much trouble after that day to keep anything Laura related clear from me and I stayed away from magazines and newspapers etc. She is always in the news and I preferred to stay clear from anything Laura related. There was times I felt like reading something in a magazine or a newspaper Mary had bought. If anything Laura related was in there, Mary would remove that firs and then give me the book or newspaper. Sometimes she would say 'it might be something you want to know. Must I leave it or take it out' and I would always ask her to take it out. I prefer it that way and it helped with the healing process. I didn't need to know anything about her. I didn't want to know anything about her. It would just complicate things.

"This looks amazing babe" I say as I walk into the VIP section. Everything is exactly as I imagined it to be. Funky couches and ottoman's are set in groups all around the section in groups with a glass table centre to every group. Right in the middle of the section is the round bar lit up with neon lights shining through the glass top of the bar. In one corner is the buffet area as we are really treating our VIP guests on the night. Most of the VIP guest consisting of close friends, family and cast mates.

Everything looks just perfect and I cant control the excitement inside of me. I walk through the rest of the place. The lights, the dance floor, the other 3 bars, the seating areas, everything is just perfect and I only have one person to thank for all of this. I almost run towards Mary almost running her over "Thank you, thank you, thank you" and after every 'thank you' I plant a kiss on her lips. I just stand there holder her for a while, wiggling from one side t the other and she just laughs.

Suddenly I feel her arms around me loosening their grip and she takes a deep breath and doesn't release it again. The moment my eyes met hers I knew something was not quite right as she looks from me to the door, from the door to me. I can see anger in her eyes and all of a sudden I go cold and cant get myself to turn around to look at what she is looking at. I didn't have to turn around to know. How the fuck did she find me?

After counting to ten I decide to turn around and I look straight into her eyes. She is still as beautiful as ever. I am stunned. I didn't think I would ever have to see her again. Or rather I had hoped I would never have to see her again. What the hell is she doing here? All of us just stood there in shock not saying a word, me clinching Mary's hand so tight I'm sure it must have hurt but she allowed it.

"Would you like me to get rid of her" Mary whispers in my direction.

I raise my hand in the gesture "no, its fine. I've got this." I revert my eyes back to Laura "what are you doing here"

"Well hallo to you to Tay. How have you been? I'm great, thanks for asking" she sneers at me sarcastically and I can see her eyes smiling but she keeps a straight face.

I can feel the anger racing through my veins. Who does she think she is? Walking in here after all this time with a smirk on her face as if nothing has happened. "I didn't ask how you are because I am not really interested in knowing but since you asked I am doing perfectly fine not that it has anything to do with you. So now that we have the formalities out of the way I will ask again. What the fuck do you want?"

A shocked expression spreads across her face "I saw the advertisement in the paper and I knew it must be your place. I was in the area. I thought maybe we can talk. I am not here to upset you Tay. I...."

"I think its better you leave" Mary, to my surprise, interrupts Laura. For a moment there I completely forgot that she was standing right behind me.

Laura gives a little sarcastic laugh "you should really send your staff for some people skills training because if this is how...."

"Fiancé" I interrupt her "Not staff, fiancé" Mary now standing right next to me, I can see a smile forming on her lips.

"What?" Laura says asks almost horrified

"Mary is not part of my staff, she is my fiancé" I say loud enough making sure she does not miss a word of what I had just said.

She stands there staring at me and Mary for a while and then again gets that little sarcastic smile "Are you fucking kidding me" she laughs "Your engaged to our waitress"

"Again, not that it's any of your business, but yes I am. Now if there is nothing else, please leave. I have a lot to do here" I reply coldly.

"I am really not trying to complicate things. I just want to talk to you. I need to talk to you. You owe me dinner, remember?"

I know she is referring to the night we went out and I wanted to pay the bill. She said when my club opens its on me.

I turn to Mary "Babe, please can you take Mrs Prepon to the reception area and make a reservation at the restaurant of her choice. Let them know the bill is on me. Just not next week Tuesday as we are out of town to meet with our wedding planner. Now then, send my regards to James."

"we..." Jane tries to interrupt me

I raise my voice a little "Now if you will excuse me I have work to do." I turn around and walk away.

I heard Laura and Mary arguing a while longer after I had left. I don't know what they argued about or what was said. I was sitting in my office, dumb stuck. I couldn't think.