prologue

"He's beautiful," said Rose as she held her son for the first and last time.

"Just like you," said Pearl standing by her.

"That's very true," said a voice that Rose soon realized belonged to Greg.

  "You're here!"

  "You think I would miss seeing my child after he was born?"

  Rose hugged Greg then let him hold there son. "What should we name him?" Greg asked Rose. "I was thinking the human name Steven."

  "I love it." Pearl loved the name, too. "Rose, what is that thing growing around you?"

  She looked down to see a rose bush growing up around her body. It kept going up and up until her face was covered and she was frozen like a statue. "Rose no!" sobbed Pearl. Then the bush exploded and big roses floated in the air and fell to the ground. Where was Rose?

"Rose? Rose! Rose?" Pearl said as she dug through the pile of roses. "She gone," she muttered.

  "What did you say, Pearl?"

  "She's gone! And it's your fault!"

  "How is this my fault?"

  "How? Oh I'll tell you how! You stole her from me! You KNEW I loved her!!! And you took her away!!! And now this human child has made her die!!!!" That's how it's your fault!"

  The sound of the warp pad filled in the silence then Amethyst and Garnet came running out. "We came as fast as we could to see the child. Where is he?" Pearl turned around her face covered in tears. "Pearl, what's wrong?" said Garnet in a comforting voice. "She's gone. For good," she replied holding one of Roses roses. Garnet and Amethyst gasped putting their hands over their mouths.