Chapter 2: The Confession

Stevens P.O.V.

     I woke up to silence. There was no sign of breakfast being made anytime soon, so I got dressed and went to the Big Donut. I walked inside and saw Sadie and Lars working. Mostly Sadie. Lars was struggling to open a pickle jar. "Hi Sadie!"

      "Oh, hey Steven! What's up?"

      "Just here for some breakfast. Two donuts, please." Sadie picked up two donuts and put them in a bag. "Here you go, Steven. These are on the house."

     "Thanks, bye!" I ran out of the store and back home. When I got home, Pearl was waiting for me. "Hello, Steven. Can I talk with you for a minute?" I nodded. We sat on the couch and I ate my donuts. "Now Steven, I have decided to tell you this because I think you're old enough to understand." I nodded again. Usually when she says something like that, it's a secret she's been keeping.

"Steven, I know you love your dad and he loved your mom, but would you be mad if someone else loved her?"

"Pearl, are you saying that you....."

"Yes. I loved Rose."

"You mean, like, you....love, loved her?"

"Yes. I just hope this doesn't change the way you think of me."

"Pearl, I still look up to you. Please don't think I'll love you any less. I bet if my mom was here she'd do this..." I say and then wrap her in a tight hug. She hugged me too and I think I felt her sobbing quietly on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, pearl."