Chapter 1: Basketball Practice?!

"This is music for moonlighting lovers. Wherever you are tonight, I hope your main squeeze is close by," The radio announcer said smoothly. Brittany Miller, leader of her sisters' singing group: The Chipettes, happened to have this station on for a very special occasion.

"Oh, he will be, honey," she said to the radio as she lit three candles. Then, she began to turn a bottle of Alvin's favorite drink, root beer, in a holder filled with crushed ice so that it would become colder.

"Let's see," she stood up and looked around the living room that she had just turned into a romantic setting. "Root beer on ice, popcorn, candles, hmm... what else?" she pondered by putting a hand on her chin, and then gasped. "Perfume! A little of my favorite!" she smiled, reaching down to the table to pick up a tiny glass holder filled with pink liquid. "Eau de Dream! Not too much," she spoke to herself as she squirted twice on each side. The amount of mist in the air caused her to cough, but she quickly cleared her throat.

"There," she said, satisfied. "Just enough." she batted her eyelashes and stroked her ponytail. Just then, the pink phone next to her let out a loud ring, so she reached down to pick it up.

"Hello?" she asked, sitting down on the couch. Her eyes shot open and she sat up straight when she heard who it was.

"Alvin!" she exclaimed, then she went to lay on her stomach, with her head and arms rested on the armrest. "Darling, where are you?" she asked, using her finger to trace the circular design of the root beer bottle cap. She wanted to create a romantic effect, even if she was only ten years old.

"Our favorite romantic detective show will be on in a minute!" she chirped, still in a cheerful mood.

"I'll be there, Brittany," Alvin said from the other line, talking from a payphone in the corner of his school gym. "after basketball practice." he dribbled the ball a few times, twirled it on his finger, and then went to shoot it in the net nearest to him with only his right hand. It bounced off the rim, and Alvin had an upset expression on his face.

Brittany's good mood seemed to be getting worse by the minute. She crinkled her brows. "Uh, what do you mean you need to, 'brush up'?" she asked, losing her patience. "What's more important," she asked, looking at her perfectly filed nails. "Basketball, or me?" she closed her eyes with a small smile, certain that she had won him over.

"Basketball," Alvin said from the other end. Brittany's eyes flew open in shock, but then she wore the angriest expression she had put on that night.

"Is that so?!" she snapped, yelling into the phone in front of her. Before Alvin could reply, she slammed the phone down to hang it up. Next, she grabbed the radio and yanked the plug out of the wall. Then, she snatched the root beer bottle, and squeezed it until the cap popped off. She poured the open bottle over the three candles that lit up the room, and shouted, "Basketball practice?!"

Brittany threw the empty bottle at the TV, and it hit the button that turned it on. The detective show was starting, and the word "Dreamlighting" covered the screen. "Basketball practice?!!!"

The TV had lit up the now dark room, and Brittany finally calmed down once the TV announcer began talking.

"Tonight, America's favorite romantic detective show,"

Brittany's eyes were beginning to flutter closed, her tantrum had made her extremely tired. She leaned back on the couch, and after a long pause the announcer concluded with, "Dreamlighting."

Romantic saxophone music played in the background, and Brittany drifted off to sleep. The image of the Dream Lighting logo stuck in her head, as one of her craziest dreams began.