Chapter One

~Chapter One~

It was early morning; the distant sound of a crow's cries cracked through my bedroom window. I had been tossing and turning in bed for the past three hours. I was not looking forward to the day that lay ahead of me.

Boisterous footsteps echoed in the outside hallway; my mother was coming to wake me. I threw the covers from my body and onto the wood floor, sitting up from my bed. I lifted my hand to my face, clenching my fingers into a fist and rubbing my eye. The usual silence that filled my room was broken as an obnoxious pounding caught my ear. I shifted my gaze to the door, my mother's fist rapped vigorously on the other side.

"Cole! COLE!" She barked my name; I could already hear the irritation in her voice. I hesitated not to answer back, knowing how quickly she became agitated with me.

"I'm awake!" I called back, rising from my bed. The knocking suddenly came to a halt, and I was left alone.

A supple sigh escaped my lips. I trudged my way over to the tall, wooden wardrobe on the far side of my room. Giving the handles a hard tug, I pulled the doors open. My fingers skimmed across the hangers of clothes inside, stopping over a long, silk robe as white as a dove. I yanked it free from the hanger and shut the door. I threw it on over my bare chest as I turned to face the mirror beside the wardrobe, cringing in disgust as my eyes met my reflection. My cold, gray eyes were glazed with exhaustion and I had a horrid bed head. I wasn't crazy about my appearance. I was a bit short for a sixteen year old, though what lacked in height was made up in strength; I was broad, and muscular. My tan skin and tousled, mahogany hair made my eyes stick out like a sore thumb. Having to wear this robe only made matters worse.

I turned away from the mirror as I was finished gussying up, approaching the window. I rested my hands upon the sill, gazing across the few neighboring rooftops. I lived in a small town. The few people aware of its existence, knew it by the name of Fides; the town of Fides. A wretched community controlled by god-obsessed psychopaths. We had no mayor, no officials, no true authorities. The citizens of Fides were brainwashed by the church, we were all under the reign of the Priest.

The silence of my room was broken again by the roar of iron church bells. My eyes locked on the cathedral in the distance, my heart nearly stopped. The solitary monolith sang its song strong enough for all to hear. Mass was beginning. Attending mass was a daily tradition that the townspeople had accustomed to. Despite my passionate hatred towards it, I was also required to attend; I was the altar boy.

"Oh no..." I murmured beneath my breath; I was late.

Fear took a fatal blow to my heart and my knees began to tremble. I jolted around from the window, slamming open my bedroom door and sprinting for my life. I dashed from my house, my feet pounded furiously against the ebony asphalt. Adrenaline pumped through my veins at each desperate stride I took. My ivory gown whipped violently behind me as I ran for the church. My mind was blank; blank with fear. The monstrous citadel ahead of me mocked me with its songs. I heard the Father's voice in the tone of the bells, scorning me.

I finally approached the front doors of the monastery, throwing my body against the sturdy iron frame and hauling them open. I stepped inside, my sides were heaving. The pews were already full, the townspeople stared back at me. Bitter expressions stained their eyes. Though, my attention was drawn up at the altar. There, he stood. Our gazes met. I was done for.

Without hesitation, I scuttled over to the side wall, I clutched the crucifix resting on its stand and stumbled back to the main aisle. My arms rose with the crucifix, holding it high as I began walking down the aisle, the organ began to play. Mass had begun; and it had begun late, because of me.

My arms shook, my eyes never left the Father's. His solemn glare sent chills through my bones. Panic boiled deep in my chest. The aisle seemed to stretch before my eyes. Each and every agonizing step I took, my path grew longer. The room began to spiral, my stomach was churning. The lights were growing dim, my eyes flickered; I felt weak. Suddenly, my body came to a halt and I stared up at the Father in a daze. The crucifix fell from my hands. Then, my knees buckled. I came crashing down to the floor boards. I felt myself drifting away from reality. My vision began to fail, and I was soon engulfed in darkness.

~To be continued~