|3| Fight

"Let me go! I have to get home! Why are you doing this?!"

They push me into a room and shut the door behind them. I figure now that it's no use to fight and I give up, sitting in the chair, crossing my arms.

"You're not going home," one of the officers says.

"And why not?"

"Because your mother seems to be abusing you. We cannot allow-"

"Abuse?!" I laugh. "My mother doesn't abuse me! Where the hell did you get that?"

"That's...confidential. It all added up. The unexplained injuries, the supposed attitude differences. And when we picked up your mother, she appeared to dislike you."

"Cuz she probably had a hangover. Look, she's not a bad mom. She just has bad luck. And some nights she drinks. But she never hurts me. Not mentally, physically, emotionally."

"Then why was there glass on the floor? Why was she calling you names?"

"She does that. We joke like that. I know it's sick, but it's what we do. She probably didn't realize that you two wouldn't get it. Last night she dropped a bottle of vodka after I went to bed. When I woke up, I slipped in it and fell on some shards. I'm fine! But I was running late so I couldn't pick it up."

They both look at each other. I know they're unconvinced.

"I still don't-"

"She really isn't a bad mom!" I keep trying. "She got raped twice! The first time is what brought me here! It's just a lot for her to handle sometimes."

"Well your mother is at the hospital now. We'll see if your stories add up."

Who the hell knows what Mom will say. All I know is I'm done for.

I can't have people finding out. I will not go into the foster system. I just won't.

"Hungry or thirsty?"

I shake my head no. I don't want to eat or drink.

"Well let's go out there. It's more comfortable."

They take me by the shoulders and lead me back out to the main part of the station. I sit at a desk, across from the other kid here. The name plate on this desk says "Det. Donald Cragen."

I sit back and take in the surroundings. But I notice the guy across from me keeps looking at me. I don't want him to because I know he's looking at my cut. But I don't say anything.

All of a sudden a bottle of water is on the desk in front of me. Then the other detective goes to who is sitting in front of me. "Alright, El, let's deal with you next," he says. "How much trouble are you in?"

"Two day suspension."

I smirk and roll my eyes. You're not supposed to get caught, dumbass.

The detective rubs his face. "Alright. Well I can't get you home now, so stay and try not to get into trouble."

"I'll do my best."

He looks at me again and I look up to see him.

"No flirting."

Again, I roll my eyes. "Where's the bathroom?" I ask.

The detective - Detective Stabler, apparently - points the direction, so I follow it.

I don't have to pee, but I don't want to sit in there. I let the door swing close and I put my hands on one of the porcelain sinks.

How could I have been so stupid? I should've just lied to Marsden and he wouldn't have thought about it for another second.