|10| Blood, Sweat, and Tears

*Elliot's POV*

I hear lots of laughter from behind me as I walk up the stairs.

My locker is the first one closest to said stairs, so when I turn to face it, I see who it is.

It's...Olivia, with 5 other girls. She looks...well, happy. And that is a huge weight off my shoulders. One I don't even need to have, but do anyways. By choice.

I walk into math and see her chatting away with Kendall Lyndes. Such a change. But Kendall is a weirdly happy person. Maybe she can help more than I can.

The bell rings and Kendall sits in her assigned seat.

Another slow period, then another boring health class.

Kendall and Olivia aren't leaving each other's sides, though. I guess that's good.

But the fact that three weeks go by and she says not much of anything to me, that isn't good. To me, anyways.

*Olivia's POV*

Kendall gets me to laugh in less than five minutes of our first conversation. We form a friendship. I don't know how she did it, but she did and I'm extremely thankful for it.

I walk home alone as usual, knowing Carrie is watching me. I get home at 3:10 and immediately start scrubbing the ceilings.

~•~

I don't finish my duties on time.

"I don't ask you to do much! Matthew goes to work and works very hard all day every day so you have food to eat! But I guess you don't get any food tonight, you useless-" slap! "-pathetic-" slap! "-piece of garbage!" slap!

My cheeks sting as she pushes me into my door frame. I feel an even worse sting and instantly know that the metal and wood cut my cheek.

She closes the door as I pull away but it slams on my finger. Hard.

I scream out in pain and draw my hand back as soon as possible. When the door is closed, I sit on my floor, inspecting my wounds. My finger is throbbing. Its red and is puffy. It hurts too much to move it.

I look at myself in the mirror and see a small line of blood coming from the cut.

I feel my chin wobble - I can see it happen, too - and then tears pour from my eyes. The salt makes my cheek cut sting worse but I don't care. The red mixes with the clear.

I wipe it on my dark purple shirt and hope it doesn't show all that much.

I don't have any homework, so I crawl in bed and keep crying, long after the blood stops coming.

The next day is Saturday and because I didn't finish my weekend duties either, I'm not allowed to go out. Not like I had anywhere to go.

This is the first Saturday I'm going to be home. Every week I say I go to the library to work on a various projects, so they are fine. I just wander the city. With the last $10 I had I bought some food at a store that I kept in my drawer. I ate a little bit of it, but when I saw the other kids hadn't eaten much either, I put the rest in their bags while cleaning their ceilings. I'm sure they found it. They all hugged me when we left for school the next day.

But today, I'm scared. I don't know what goes on around here, but it can't be good. When I come out of my room - after being called down, of course - I immediately smell whisky and cigars. Give thanks to my mother for helping convert those smells to memory.

There's a poker game going on. Hosted by Matthew.

"I have a very special job for you today, Olivia, dear," Carrie says with her fake smile.

"What can I do for you?" I ask.

"You're going to service this poker game. Get them whatever they need. Got it? Anything they want or need."

Her breath leaves goosebumps on my skin.

"Do you all need anything?" I ask the men after Carrie leaves.

Matthew is in his early 40's. And that the age where most of these men seem to be. One a little older, two a little younger. Another girl is here, too, a little older than me, maybe 20. But she's sitting on one of the guys' laps.

"Another beer!"
"More cigars!"

I hear both those commands a lot today. And every time I supply is, I get a slap on the backside. I try to act like it doesn't bother me.

"Hey, Missy-" their new nickname for me. "Come sit. I need some good luck," the one who appears to be the youngest says.

I do so, on his lap, against any moral in my body saying no.

He locks his gross fingers all the way around me. His fingers stop just below my breasts.

He shows his cards, as do the rest.

"Ah, lookey here! You are a good luck charm!" he says, pushing a kiss to my cheek.

Do not flinch, I instruct myself.

"Ey! I could use some luck!" another says. "Randy, give her over!"

"No way! She mine!"

His fingers glide right on the underside of my breasts. It makes me jump, and it doesn't go unnoticed by the other girl. She gives me a look that I take as, 'just go with it'. I guess she doesn't want to be here either.

"How you feelin' honey?" Randy asks me.

"Fine," I say in an uplifted tone.

"That's good! Now, blow on the dice for me!"

I do so and he rolls. I don't understand poker, but I guess he rolled a good number because he cheers. His fingers press into my breasts again, and this time, he notices.

"Ooh, you got some nice flesh there!"

He completely feels me up this time, making me stand so I'm in between his legs.

"I think I'm gonna pack up this game a little early tonight. Cool, Matt?"

I beg and plead silently that Matthew wants me to stay here.

He doesn't.

Randy takes me away with him, and I keep a grab on my phone which is in my back pocket.

We slide into his gross, old truck and he drives.

When we pull up to a house, he wastes no time. Grabbing me, he ushers me to the basement, where a ratty, old couch remains.

He sits down, pulling me against him.

"Do we have to?" I ask quietly.

"Matthew said it's okay, remember?" he replies dangerously.

No. I don't want to do this. No.

He takes off my shirt and then his. He makes me in clasp my bra so he can touch me.

This is one thing Mom would never have let happen to me.