|33| Over and Under

I walk inside and close the door. I lean my back on it afterwords, texting Don that I'm home. A moment later, he texts me back.

"Okay thanks for telling me. This case looks like it'll be tough. I might not be home until really late."

"That's fine."

"How was dinner?"

"You should find out soon enough."

I expect him to text back, but he doesn't. Well, he did say the case would be hard. I shrug it off and walk into the house more.

I sit on the couch in the living room, or more, fall down on the couch.

Something isn't sitting right with me. Elliot just got up and was pissed and didn't care about my thoughts or anything. I know he's mad but he took it out on me, it feels like. This is all happening because I came into their life.

Ugh. Don't I feel fantastic right now.

Before I know it, I'm crying. No, not crying. Sobbing. Sobbing to the point of hyperventilation.

But then there's the sound of the doorbell.

*Elliot's POV*

I know she's home. My mom brought her back. She's got nowhere else to go.

I ring the bell twice. I lean against the door, willing it to open. But then I feel it move, a fraction of a millimeter. She's leaning against it to.

"Liv, I know you're in there."

Then I hear a lock shift and stand straight. When the door opens I see her. But she locks the screen door.

"What do you want?" she asks.

Fuck. She isn't mad, is she?

"Let me in. Please."

"So you can get pissed and storm off again?"

No, not about that. Please don't be mad about that.

Well, what else would she be mad about?

"Liv, please. My dad does that to me. He drives me crazy a-"

"Clearly."

"I wasn't-"

"So you weren't the one that stopped your dad from apologizing by making side comments?" She's shifted all her weight to one foot, arms crossed, her eyebrow raised.

"Liv, I didn't-"

"But you did, Elliot. Your dad wouldn't have gotten pissed if you would've just kept your mouth shut."

I can tell she was about to say something else. But she stops herself.

"What else, Olivia? I know you were going to keep talking. So, what?"

"Nothing, El. Goodnight," she says, about to close the door.

"No, Liv. Please. I need you. Please let me in."

"It was my own fault, El. You don't need me. You need your father to be on good terms with you. So go take care of that. Don't lose the only father you'll ever have."

And with that, she closes the door.

"Liv!" I yell banging on the door.

"Go away!" I hear her muffled plea. But I can't go away. Not when I know I fucked up.

I call for her again, but she's not there anymore.

*Olivia's POV*