Chapter 1

"I'm a total suck up. There. I've said it" In all my life I've never actually admitted to anyone that I am a suck up to all my teachers, but that's not the reason I get good grades.

"I knew it! Jeez, Kayla, I always wondered how many apples you've bought in your life that you've given to teachers," Exclaimed Emily, who began to laugh at her own joke.

I walked over to my bed and threw a pillow at her, as she continued laughing."It's not funny! And really? Apples? That's so stereotypical. Nobody gives apples to teachers. That's just stupid."

She giggled and sat down on the bed next to me. I frowned as I realized that this was maybe the last time I would really spend time with my best friend. What was I going to do without her when I moved so far away?

"What's wrong?" She asked, realizing my change in mood. "Are you thinking about how you have to move?"

I nodded. Dang, I was going to miss her always knowing why I was sad or angry. I was always thinking about how I'm moving now a days. Was I going to make new friends? Was I going to like my new house? Will my friends here forget about me?

Emily scooted over to me and moved her arm around my shoulders. "It's going to be alright, Kay kay. I'll make sure to text you every morning, Skype at night, and snapchat you everyday I promise. And I know what your thinking. I will never replace you in a million years. You have nothing to worry about!"

Hearing her say that made me feel better, but it didn't get rid of the thought that I'm leaving my whole life here in Texas just to move to Alabama for a "better job" as my dad would like to say.

"I'm really going to miss you." I whisper as I grab and hug her.
"I'm going to miss you too, Kay Kay." She says softly.

***

It's been a month since I last saw Emily and moved to Alabama. The day we got here, my mom and dad had forced me to unpack everything into the house. It was the worst day ever, considering my life was officially over when we left our little town.

Summers almost over and high school starts in 2 days. I'm so excited. Note the sarcasm. Although I was ready for the academic part of high school, I sure was not ready for the social part of it. You know, the "talking" and making "friends" part.

Let me just put  this out there. I'm not the kind of girl who goes to parties and has lots of friends. No, no, I'm the kind of girl who reads all day and does homework early. It's sad but true.

I've also never had a boyfriend. Or a guy friend. I tend to turn into the color of a tomato when I'm around boys, plus, I'm not that pretty. I'm not saying I'm ugly, I'm just an average brown headed girl with some freckles who has a some what cute face. Not really someone who would have guys running all over them.

The only guys that I dream about are my fictional ones. The boys in books are just so perfect and amazing and it raises my expectations for what I look for in a guy. Which isn't always good, since all the guys in my books are literally perfection and don't exist.

I also have to worry about the teachers. I mean, will they like me? Ugh, all the kids will think I'm a teachers pet! But who cares!? I certainly don't care. Oh who am I kidding, of course I care.

All I can do now is hope that everything  gets better and that maybe I can form a new life here in this new place.

***

As I get ready for bed, I pick up a book that fell on the floor. "'The Selection'. This book is literally perfection. Maybe I'll re-read it again just to remember it..." I say to myself, as I yawn.

Plopping myself onto my bed, I open the book and began reading.

1:46 A.M.

It was getting late by the time I was halfway through the book. As I was reading, I was amazed at how the main character, America Singer, handled her life as everything about it changed. "I wish I could be like her.." I think, while I slowly close my eyes to sleep.
***
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
"I'm up! IM UP! How do I shut this thing off?" I mutter to myself. I yawn as I throw the covers off me and rise off of my bed. I grab my phone and check my snapchat as I realized that it was 6:52 Am and that I had to leave the house at seven if I ever wanted to make it to school on time. I scramble to my bathroom and proceed to shove on some boot cut Levi's and a maroon T shirt, and lace up my converse as I search for my brush. "You just had to read late on a school night." I thought as I throw my hair into a ponytail and race downstairs to the car. As I zoom past the kitchen, a envelope catches my eye. It's addressed to me. Weird. I don't usually get any mail. I grab the envelope and sprint to the car and drive to my new high school.