Waiting for You

I'm Gautam, I'm seven years old now.

I am the only child for my parents.

I love my daddy very much.

Both my parents love each other and happy till my daddy lost his job.

that's when trouble started. They used to argue about bills, rent and EMI which I don't understand.

then one fine day,

"I'm sorry Jyothi but I just can't do this anymore!" Daddy shouted at Mommy. Daddy kept walking around the house, throwing things in a suitcase

"Krishna, you can't just leave! How am I supposed to take care of Gautam by myself?" She yelled back. She looked really sad now and started crying. Daddy put his hand on her shoulder but she pushed it away.

"I don't care anymore. Put him up for adoption or give him to my parents." Daddy's voice was quieter but he still looked angry.

"You want me to give our son away?! He's our responsibility and you can't just walk out on it!" Mommy's voice scared me. She never yelled like that.

I stood up and ran to mommy. I tugged on her leg to get her to look at me.

"Mommy?" I asked when she wouldn't look down. "Not now Gautam." She said as she pushed my hands away. I looked over at daddy who stared at Mommy. He looked like he was thinking hardly.

"Daddy?" I asked, hoping for someone's attention.

"I'm tired of this. This not being able to pay the bills, not being able to buy food some nights. This isn't the life I wanted and it's not the life I'm going to be stuck with." Daddy yelled as he closed his suitcase. The yelling was scaring me. I didn't like it. I sat down at the steps and held my hands over my ears. I brushed the hair in front of my eyes to stop myself from seeing daddy and mommy fight.

If I didn't see it, maybe it wouldn't happen. Daddy stepped closer to mommy and raised his hand, but she didn't see it cause she was looking the other way. When she finally looked at him just like that he slapped her. I didn't think it was very nice. She screamed really loudly. I wish I didn't hear it. Mommy started to cry even more. I hated seeing her cry. I screamed too.

Daddy was getting scary. Daddy picked up his suitcase and looked down at me. He sat in front of me and kissed my head. "I love you Gautam, no matter what happens." he whispered.

"I love you too daddy." I said and hugged his neck tightly. More tears came from mommy's eyes. Daddy picked up his suitcase again and walked to the door. Mommy walked into the kitchen. "Daddy where are you going?" I asked as I walked behind him.

"Gautam, you stay here. Daddy's going away." She said. I didn't want her to leave. "Daddy don't go." I yelled when she opened the door. I started to cry too. I stomped my foot and ran to him. "Daddy!" I screamed but he ignored me. He ran to his car and he was too fast for me. She threw the suitcase in the car and then got in.

"Daddy wait!" I screamed again as I ran to the car. He started to move out of the drive way but I was so close. Maybe I could reach him. I stuck my hand out to grab the car but mommy grabbed me before I could. Daddy was so close. Why couldn't I reach him? Why didn't daddy let me? Mommy should've stopped him. I pounded my fists on mommy's chest. Daddy's car flew down the road until I couldn't see it no more. I hope daddy came back soon. I am missing his hugs already.

I wonder if he knows I love him.

I never saw my daddy again after that day.

I don't know what I did wrong that daddy left me.

Whenever I see boys around my age playing happily with their daddies, my heart yearns to be like them. but sadly I can't.

Mommy said she and daddy got divorced and he won't come . I now lives with her and my grandparents.

Just one last chance, I wish I could get to hug you. Then I would hold you tight and never let go. I miss you dad.

Daddy, please come back. I will not tell you to walk a little slower , I'll just catch up. i won't bug you to buy me things .

I wonder if you knows how hard mommy is working to fulfil my needs.

I wonder if you knows how tired she feels when she comes home.

I wonder if you hears her cry, the way that I do.

So daddy if you can hear me
I need you as much as I need mommy. Please come back to us.

Why should I suffer for your mistake?

Do you even care?

Do you see the tears I fight to hold inside?

why do I still miss you?

Maybe I am waiting for you , dad.

*********

A/N : I hope you all liked this. This thing came to my mind while I am watching some serious fight between couples about taking care of their son in a TV channel program. I thought of publishing it a long before but never had the time to write it .

Please vote and comment.

I really want to hear what you thought of this.