Real Heroes

Gun shots ring in my ears. Running behind the nearest grouping of trees, I see the rest of my troop follow closely behind. Enemies swarm us from all angles, no escaping now.

The first troop member hits the ground, Fardeen. Fardeen just married last year .  A feeling of pain bursts in my chests as I try to grab the skin over it. "Forward men!" The officer orders before charging into the unknown jungle. After taking a final look at Fardeen's lifeless body, I rushed to catch up with the officer.

"We're  outnumbered." Joseph shouts to me as he comes up next to me. Joe and I grew up together at the end of a street. Since we were young we've planned on joining the military. We wished for these moments and even acted them out, using our hands as guns. I could only wish now that this was a horrible dream gone wrong. "We lost Fardeen." I said quietly. he closed his eyes for a moment and nodded.

Joe and I ducked under a bush and watched the enemies race to us. I pulled out my gun and shot their feet. When they went down Joe shot their chests. I looked down at the dirt, ashamed of killing men. I couldn't stop now though. "Hey man, only a few more weeks. Then, We will be back home." Joe whispered. I could see his eyes get puffy and red. He must be  missing his wife. Their child is due any day now. I know it killed him to be away from her; and to have to miss the birth of his own child. His wife talks to him as often as possible.

"It's ok Joe. We'll make it out." I said reassuringly as I patted his shoulder. He nodded and stood up fastly, without thinking. "We're clear Raju." He told me. Just as I pushed myself up, a gun shot rang out. I looked over at Joe as he staggered backwards. His hand reached up to his chest. I saw what he stared at in amazement. A small hole that filled and overflowed with blood. "Joe!" I yelled. Throwing my hands behind him to catch his body. He fell back into my arms and was shaking uncontrollably. Tears started to stream down his cheeks as he looked into my eyes. "Tell Sherrie and my baby that I'm sorry. And make sure they know I love them." He whispered.

My face morphed into a distorted grimace. Tears streaked my dirt and blood covered cheeks. My face turned a deep red. "Don't cry, man." Joe whispered. "I love you Joe, best bros to the end." I whispered. Joe shakily raised his hand up in a fist, a small stretched on his pale lips. "To the end." He whispered. I bumped my fist against his gently just before it fell down onto his stomach. His eyes glazed over and he stopped shaking. I lowered my head down onto his stomach and cried for him, for Sherrie, for his yet to be born baby, for his parents. "Come on Joe, we're going home." I whispered as I gently tossed him onto my shoulder, making a break for the jeep waiting just outside the forest. He was so close.

****

Lets think about the life of a soldier.

He leaves his family and friends behind and fights for his country .When all are asleep soldiers stay awake for the safety of their citizens .The word soldier gives us a selfless feeling .He always strives for the safety and security of others.

Soldiers make sure that we sleep in peace, when they are wide awake. Whenever the country is in a crisis, we see soldiers on their toes .During a flood we see soldiers giving a helping hand. When there is an epidemic it is the soldiers who will be in the forefront providing people with food and necessities and even the necessary medicine.

We, the common man only think of our soldiers when the country faces a security threat, when they are shown in the news or any other media. This is the only time when they are applauded and they are also easily forgotten. Soldiers face all the threats that the country faces by themselves.

We get to know of the problem only when it is really bad. Most of the soldiers are rewarded only posthumously or after their death. We on our part never forget to laud the cricketers, the politicians, but do we appreciate a soldier in the true sense?

Have we ever thought of taking an autograph from a soldier?