Chapter 2

*****NOTE: This chapter is currently unfinished. Also, thanks for reading :D*****

I walked into the doctors office, the same one I'd walked through last week. Dr. Kampala was nice and all, but still......

....the sterility of this place bothered me.

"Erika, are you feeling alright?" Dr. Kampala asked, the skin around her dark eyes crinkling with worry. I suddenly wondered if I had remembered to put my contacts in this morning...no, that wouldn't explain her worry. 

"Yeah, fine." I responded, realizing that I had spaced out. "I'm all good." That explained  her worry, seeing as how I was typically an alert person. Dr. Kampala frowned at me, before shrugging it off and walking towards the plastic, paper-lined table. I followed her over, hoisting myself up onto the edge of the altar-like thing. The paper made a crinkling sound, and I smiled a little.

But only a little.

Kampala let out an exasperated sigh. "Erika, you know the drill. I need you to remove your contacts." That was one of the reasons I hated coming here. Dr. Kampala always started with my eyes, and she never let me put the contacts back in until the check-up was complete. That, and the fact that she (as well as every other doctor or patient in the same room as I) stared at me. 

I mocked her sigh, exasperated myself, before jumping off the bed - and making sure to 'accidentally' take as much crinkly paper as I could. Opening the check-up room door, I turned right to head to the public bathroom. One...two....three.....four...five...I counted, looking at the ground and noting the door frames. I always got to the bathroom this way, never once looking up. Well, maybe just once.

This way, no one else could see my face.

Looking up at the bland black door, I pushed gently on the knob, checking to see if it was locked. It slid down smoothly, no protest at all. Slowly, I pushed in, opening the door straight into an old lady.

"Oops. Ma'am, are you okay?" I said to the wrinkly woman, sullen and hurried. "I'm so sorry, I didn't know you were in there..."  She smiled, the already-deep lines around her surprisingly eyes crinkling even more.

"Such beautiful eyes. You are a free one..." she said wistfully, reaching up to touch my cheek. Her hand was surprisingly soft, her voice grandmotherly and just the slightest bit grating.

Confused, I stepped aside, holding the bathroom door wide open. The woman shuffled out, and I noticed the silver IV stand rolling gently, just behind her thin frame.

She must be a dementia patient or something. She doesn't know what she's saying....I thought, watching her move down the pale hallway.

As soon as her pale nightgown disappeared around a corner, I  swung myself around the door and shut it tight behind me. That woman was creepy, and besides...Dr. Kampala was waiting.

Walking up to the mirror, I studied my expression. Definitely spooked. Once close enough, I stuck one finger in my eye, using the other to move my eyelid out of the way. I pushed, pinching the tiny film in my fingers and pulling it away from bright blue irises. I already had the contacts container and the travel-size bottle of fluid ready, and I stuck the brown thing into the small right eye compartment. Repeating the process on the other eye, I snapped the case shut and out it back in my purse, along with the tightly shut fluid.