Yule Tide Kisses

Chapter One: Yule Tide Kisses

December 23rd

The rights to Harry Potter belong to JK ROwling.

As the Yule Ball approached, Draco Malfoy was quickly beginning to regret asking Pansy to be his date. She wouldn’t stop talking about it, and she was getting on his nerves. He already hated the Ball, and it hadn’t even happened yet. He was contemplating getting sick on purpose so he didn’t have to go by the time December 23rd rolled around. Blaise Zabini, his best friend, laughed at him when he complained about it. But Blaise was lucky, Draco thought. He was attending the ball with Daphne Greengrass, a very pretty blonde-haired Slytherin girl. Daphne was best friends with Pansy, and he knew from her that she’d fancied Blaise for the longest time. But he knew that Blaise didn’t like Daphne—at least, not romantically. Blaise was secretly in love with Hermione Granger, and he had been since their first year. Draco didn’t know why. She wasn’t very pretty—in fact, she was quite a bossy know-it-all prat. He wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up Head Girl by Seventh Year.

The night of December 23rd, Draco was wandering down the Astronomy Corridor, having just managed to get away from Pansy, who had been gushing about her dress. He’d decided to leave, rather then yell at her that he couldn’t care if she wore a garbage bag. He’d only asked her because it was expected. His father loved the Parkinson’s—though Draco found them to be a bunch of snobs—and often invited them for dinner. He had a horrible feeling that his father wanted him to marry her when he was older, and that Pansy was probably expecting a ring the second they graduated. But he’d never marry her, mostly because his father wanted it. And he wouldn’t give into his father that easily.

But December 23rd was probably one of the longest days in Draco’s life. For most of the day, he’d listened to Pansy yammer on and on, and watched Blaise watch Hermione even though Daphne was trying to get his attention. All day he’d tried to escape, but he had never had an excuse. But he’d finally managed it, saying that he needed to go send a letter to his parents. Since Pansy despised the Owlery, it had been the perfect opportunity to run off on her. And now, here he was, wandering the corridor even though it was nearly curfew. He was definitely pushing his luck, strolling around the castle at this hour of the night. If a Prefect caught him, he’d be in trouble. Though… come to think of it, being in trouble might not be such a bad thing. Maybe it would get him out of the Yule Ball. At least he wouldn’t be stuck with Pansy the entire night. He might be doing himself a favor, getting caught.

He came to a sudden halt, though, when he neared the stairs leading up to the Astronomy Tower. He could make out two people—one of them was definitely male, since he was muscular and tall—standing at the bottom of the steps.

Squinting into the darkness, he saw a familiar head of busy hair behind the shadow of the male.

It was, with no doubt at all, Granger.

‘I vill see you later, then, Hermy-own,’ said a familiar voice.

Draco was certain that if he had been eating or drinking anything, he would’ve choked at the voice. Viktor Krum? With that bookworm? He asked himself, shaking his head. No. It couldn’t be. It had to be another student from Durmstrang.

And then, Draco saw him lean down. He was so tall that he couldn’t see Granger, except for the top of her bushy head.

For a moment, there was only silence, and then the other boy pulled away. They both murmured something Draco didn’t quite catch, but he had a feeling it was something along the lines of “goodbye”, and then the other boy started walking in his direction. When he was close enough that he could see who he was, Draco’s jaw nearly fell open in shock.