Prologue

"Well isn't this a joy?" I asked, throwing up my hands, palms up in exasperation of the madness known as the cafeteria. "Betty was a little too public for her own good anyway." Mary said, waving her hand off. Mary was a tall girl who's hair is straight black with a few pink-purple highlights on the tips. Her eyes an unnaturally brilliant green, they popped out due to her tan complexion. "Hm. Shared opinion, I guess. Even though she was nice enough. Such a shame." I said, resting my head on my palm while scanning the board to see if anyone else had gotten taken. There was nothing. "At least she's the first in a few weeks." I said to myself. "As long as we follow his orders we can say what we want, of course it's not very appreciated when we insult him, or question him too publicly." Mary said. "Ah my dears your all too right~" Zeno said, striding up to us, before stopping before us. "Hey stranger." I said, Mary merely glared at the odd stares we received. Zeno came over and plopped right next to me quite dramatically. Zeno was a strange boy, he didn't like The Society , nor did he dislike them. He had blonde hair, in a buzz cut, he had blue eyes and seemed like he could never exhaust his energy. "Don't be so dramatic Zeno." Mary said coldly. "Aw but it is such fun." The blonde replied, poking Mary is the side, making her giggle. "Fine." She mumbled, before a smile cracked across her face.

Classes dragged on and the day went by with little to no incidents. Well at least until I got home.

"Did you guys hear?" Greta screeched from the couch, "What are you about?" My mother asked, annoyed at the shouting that filled her home. "They're making a new system. Oh dear, I am excited to see how calm this nation will become soon enough." Greta answered me when I gave her a confused, questioning look. "How so?" I pressed, suddenly worried, a hole digging into my stomach. "Well anyone who shows any rebellion against Vulcane will be put into special hospitals that makes them super soldiers!" My little sister said. The pit in my stomach became much deeper. Of course me being the practical person everyone called me I became speculative  "How will they prove these buildings are true? How will the public know that this is real and not a buff to scare the nation into obedience." I asked, raising an accusing eyebrow to the television set. "They took a rebel the other day, they're going to be doing public tests. The first public project is a girl from your school. Believe her name was Betty." My sister said clapping her hands in joy. God, this little brat would kill everyone in a hundred mile radius just for Vulcane. When she noticed my sickened expression she stopped "What's wrong-" "I won't be at dinner tonight mom!" I shouted toward the kitchen, cutting off Greta and running upstairs.

For the next few years, the nation became stronger, scarier, and much more strict. Many died in riots, while others disappeared .