Foreword

It was raining today. I didn't like rainfall. At all. Period. It did something with my head and because of the continuous pelting, my head throbbed and throbbed some more. And on top of that, there was thunder, lightning and all that mixed with mosquitoes coming from different direction didn't end nicely with me.

And today, I was, of so fortunately, riding my bicycle, that too without carrying my umbrella. Isn't that wonderful? Ha! It rained heavily at me, successfully drenching me. I had thought that maybe I was a lucky-go-lucky girl. I was so wrong. It clearly didn't help matters much that a black cat had just passed by me. Greatest achievement ever. 

Today was no-school day and I had no homework to do so I had decided, like the nerd that I was, that I should go to a library straight from school. But I hadn't given much thought to the gloomy clouds above me. You see, our school was situated a great many miles away from my home and technically was in the countryside if you get my drift. So apparently I am an idiot. That very nicely sums it all up.

The rain started pouring quite heavily after a minute or two. I realized that I should probably stop before I get cold. I found a shade under the trees where the drops were less likely to fall. I sighed deeply and ran my fingers through my ponytail which was completely drenched. I pulled my hairband out of my ponytail and shook my head. There was no one in this corner of the road. I desperately hoped to get someone out here so that I could call my mom and inform her that I would be uncharacteristically late. 

I searched around my bag to see if I had gotten any snacks because I was incredibly hungry because well, to tell you the truth, I was studying in the morning so that meant I hadn't eaten anything since then. Bummer!

I was frantically searching for some sign of life around this barren place. Thunder sounded above my head. I breathed a sigh of despair and saw fog coming out of my mouth. It was getting colder. I figured that I should walk forward instead of standing over here. I wheeled my bicycle along the side of the road and kept my head down. I squinted through my eyes when I saw that a huge gate now stood directly above me. 

My eyes widened and I took a step instinctively and gasped when lightening struck above, illuminating the dark, dark house inside.