Lullaby

The Penne family had an colossal house it was full of rooms at least 17 of them. I did spend some time with them. I was placed in the attic with their home grown slave as they called her.

Sita Maude wasn’t actually a slave her grandmother had been born in the house. Which was forbidden at the time. The master of the house, Skye’s late father Walter had kept the baby, who was named Tina and she had grown up as one of his own children when her young mother, Gamu, had died of an unknown disease.

Skye had became great friends with Tina and so when he took over the household he kept Tina a job there. She and her husband and there other two children Robin and Finnson died from fever when Sita was only a young baby. Now Sita earned her keep by keeping the house in place of Skye’s Late wife.

It was a complicated story.Sita had told me she believed this house was haunted by death , for a lot of slaves had died here as had Skye’s parents ,wife and his son Isaac had recently died at war.

Sita was very welcoming , she wasn’t scared around me she didn’t hide like Skye’s children and the butler.

The whole servant body was very tolerant of me, once they got to know me better. Sita was happy to introduce me to her friends.

The butler, Rupert, was the most weary of all the staff. He was a tall thin man, more bones than muscle. He had short cropped hair and I never saw him in anything other than a suit.

Also in the house was the cook. Annie was a large woman with wild graying curls.

She had a bubbly personality and took me under her wing. Sita told me she did that with everyone. Annie had twelve children, the largest family I’ve ever came across. There was always a child in the warm kitchen.

Annie was very unsure of me to start but once she learned that I was attempting a different diet, the vegetarian diet as the new family called it, she was welcoming as always.

Rupert wasn’t so sure, he spoke to me and I saw him smile a few times, but he kept his distance.

Sita and I became great friends. She had never had a proper friend before, she used to play with Isaac but after he died Clarissa wouldn’t speak to her at all. She enjoyed the chance to speak to somebody but was always good enough to respect that I could kill her if she got too close.

Living with the Penne family was doing wonders for my control. I still slipped a few times in my year with them but I was trustworthy with the five people in the house, Daniel and the odd child of Annie’s.

Each night Sita would leave the attic window open which meant I could go and hunt. I nearly always went when she slept, it used up wasted time. I didn’t hunt every night but I went out anyway, it was better than being shut in a room with an all too easy kill.

It was one of the typical nights like this where everything changed and this, I’ll warn you is one of the worst parts I’ve witnessed in my life so far.

Lullaby

It was around December or early January snow lay thick everywhere.

This far from Vancouver nobody tried to clear the snow, so if you stepped in the wrong place you could be waist deep. Most humans stayed inside unless they happened to run out of food or something like that ,they didn’t like the cold. I often saw the small children, wrapped up in huge fur-lined coats, playing in the snow but after a while they got too cold and would disappear back inside to sit by the fire and drink tea.. It was too cold for humans.

When I went out the snow had all settled and soft flakes danced through the air covering all the footprints of the past day. It was so pretty and silent and still. You could see the bright sparkling stars glowing happily and the moon taking the sun’s job of watching over the sleeping world below.