Chapter 9 - Reegan

The sun was about to set when we finally decided on a reasonable plan to get the heck out. My first impulse was just to make a run for it. But that would have caused more trouble with the rest of the people and probably Stefan would have to hunt us down. Then Zoe suggested we actually asked Stefan to let us go, but I shut that idea down. There was no way he was letting us walk. No matter how much of a friend he had been to us, he was a soldier first.

It had been a few hours before we finally agreed. We had to sneak out. And in order to do so, we had to cause a distraction. After what seemed like an endless brainstorming session, Grayson suggested we use the flare gun that was always in the truck. It was a great plan. The light from the flare would be enough to distract everyone so we could make our exit unnoticed. But we still had to get our hands on the flare gun. There were four of them in total, one with each guard, one with the driver and a backup gun beneath the passenger's seat of the truck. It was plain luck that there were four of us too. Each of us would try to get their hands on a gun and fire it, so in the midst of the confusion we could sneak out. The rest of the plan consisted mainly of non-stop running until we reached Las Vegas.

Unfortunately, in order for our plan to work it meant it had to be dark. So, we waited. Hoping that by some random chance of luck the angels wouldn't make their appearance before the night.

We watched as the sun disappeared little by little behind the mountain hills on the west. Everyone was fidgeting, unable to stay in place. I, on the other hand, was as still as the night sky that was now above us. I took a brief notice of the faint stars, trying to recognize any constellation when I realized it had been so long since I stared at the night sky that I couldn't anymore.

"Are you ready?" I whispered. All three of them nodded as one. "Good," I said eager to get this thing going. "Tommy, you get the gun under the seat," I started recapping our plan. "Zoe, you try the driver, I think he had a crush on you, back in the day," I commented and her cheeks flared red.

Grayson seemed uncomfortable but didn't say anything. I gave a mental smile before continuing. "I'll take Stefan. And you," I said turning my attention to Grayson, pointing my index to his chest, eyeing his golden sword. "You take the other guard." He nodded in agreement and we all moved in our different directions.

I found Stefan standing in the middle of a human circle. He was probably trying to reassure everyone about what was to come and what needed to be done. He probably added a few words about the people going back to the headquarters and how they should carry on with their lives and duties.

"We all have a role to play. Our community cannot thrive without the help of each and every one of you." I heard him saying when I got close enough. I smiled at how well I knew him. Thrive is a bit of an overstretch, I thought to myself though I didn't voice my opinion.

His speech came to an end and the people around him cheered and clapped even though it seemed forced. It was hard to keep your hopes up in a world where everything came crashing down, and humans had no power over anything not even their own demises. I started clapping slowly, watching his every move. My eyes traveled to his waist and the flare gun hanging from his belt. How on earth am I supposed to get it?

Before I could even register a plan, Stefan's eyes found me at the far end of the crowd. He excused himself from the human circle and walked slowly toward me. His steps slow but sure brought him to a stop right in front of me. He scratched the top of his head, looking down at me. "Did you like my speech?" he asked with a crooked smile on his face.

I shrugged. "I've heard it before," I commented dryly but when his eyes turned serious I added with a smile, "It was as inspiring as ever."

The grin returned to his face. "I thought so."