Introduction

My name is Bernice. Normally, I would have used my pseudonym. But I have decided that true stories such as these deserve all the honesty I can give. However, I would be changing the other names in here to give privacy to those people as I have not asked their permission yet. I have long planned to make a book about our house but I never found the time to write one. Recent events, however, made me want to put into writing memories of our house that made it unique and unforgettable.

What I am about to tell you are "ghost" stories or "hauntings" in our ancestral house in Cavite, Philippines. I say "ancestral" because I consider the 1960s as a long time ago. My grandparents put all their efforts into building this house when they got married. My mom and her siblings lived there until they got their own families. The stories are mostly from when they were single and lived in the house together.

 To everybody who knows me, these stories are not new. A lot of the first part would come from my mother and her siblings. Some of the stories are also from the few maids who managed to stay longer than the others. My own experiences would be included as well towards the last part. I'm not really sure if my grandparents (may their souls rest in peace) had their own stories. They were gone before I developed the interest and had the chance to ask them. But some of these stories are from when they were still alive.

I have a wild imagination and I've been writing since I was a kid. I can make a story out of nothing and everything. But telling these stories would be the biggest challenge yet. Even before starting, I already know I won't be able to convey the real emotions felt by the people who experienced these. Words are not enough to express the goosebumps and the chills you experience upon encountering such happenings. But I will try.