Not maid for this house

Our house was big back then. It was a two-storey house with about 7 bedrooms and lots of space, figurines and furniture. Because of this, our family would employ about 3 maids at a time, plus a cook and a general overseer. We would usually get them from an agency and so at a time, we have a variety of maids - from super lazy ones to bordering-OCD in cleanliness.

My grandparents were not strict employers. Although my grandfather was part of the military and was usually strict, his employees loved him for being generous and kind. My grandmother was a banker at that time. And being very meticulous, she would demand cleanliness and orderliness with all the things in the house. But given as there are about 4 of them working, it wasn't a big deal. And since my grandmother would require my mom and her siblings to be the ones to clean their own rooms, polish the figurines, or help her garden, the maids' tasks were lessened by a whole lot. But even so, a lot of them leave just after a few months.

Of course, there were cases of eloping with the driver or finding a better job. But the most peculiar would be the ones who would leave 'because of the house'.

A few maids would claim seeing apparitions. A few would say that at night, their blankets would be pulled off or they'd feel someone waking them up. There were times when they would report missing things, only to see them back where it was before. A few would report hearing noises or finding unlocked doors, minutes after they've locked them. These were merely brushed off. A lot would turn to prayer. But there are just some who couldn't take it.

One particular incident was when my mom was a teenager. She was, as most teenagers were, always out of the house and with her friends. The maids were always made to wait for her (or any of her siblings) whenever they weren't home yet. Some times, they would even wait at the corner of our street to warn her because my grandfather would already be so mad.

One night, she went home late, coming from her best friend's house. When she arrived at the gate, she was confused as to why the house seemed so dark - as if everybody had retired for the night. It was really odd and the first thing that came to her mind was that her parents already kicked her out. But as it was already late and she didn't want to stay outside all night, she rang the doorbell. When one of the maids asked who it was and what he/she wanted, my mom got confused. She said her name and the maid immediately opened the gate with a very confused look in her face.

"Ma'am Angel, did you sneak out again?", the maid had asked.

"No. I just got home. Why are all the lights out? Is Papa home?"

"But- But that can't be. Everyone has retired for the night. We thought you were already home. Your Dad was even surprised that you were!"

"What? But I've been at Jessie's house all day. Why did you think that?"

"Well, when I went to your room to call you for dinner, you were sitting at your desk, studying. You waved me off so I thought you weren't hungry! We even saw your light went out when we were checking the rooms before we went to bed."

"What? Me? Studying?", my mom laughed, before she realized the more important thing. "Sh*t. Did the girl look like me???"

"I- I didn't notice."

"What did she look like?"

"Her back was to me. But she had long hai-", the maid trailed off as she noticed that my mom's hair was cut short during that time.

Needless to say, my mom didn't sleep in her room for the rest of the week.