Chapter 33: I Felt The Darkness As It Tried To Pull Me Down

Ari's POV

"Mommy?" Mason said as he walked into my room.

"Mason, what are you doing, it's-" I looked over at my clock. "Two am."

"I don't like the dark." I sighed, covering my face with my hand.

"Alright, come here." I said and he walked over me to. I lifted him onto the bed and laid him in Ronnie's spot. "Now go to sleep, you have school in the morning." I said, turning on the lamp on Ronnie's side. He kept coming into my room for a week, afraid of the dark.

"Okay Mason, you're just going to have to get over this." I said, picking him up and carrying him back to his room. I laid him in his bed, taking the lamp from Ronnie's side and plugging it in in his room. "Now stay in your bed and go to sleep." I said, leaving the door open a crack. 

"Mommy! Mommy!" Mason started to call. I groaned and got up, walking to his bedroom. 

"Mason, be quiet, you're going to wake up the whole house."

"But I don't like the dark." He started to cry. "And I miss daddy." I sighed.

"Just try to go to sleep and be quiet." I said, walking back into my room. I picked up my phone and dialed Ronnie's number, hoping he would pick up.

"Hello?" I heard his groggy voice say.

"Oh my God Ronnie, thank God you answered. Sorry to wake you."

"It's fine, what's going on?"

"Mason picks when you're gone to become afraid of the fucking dark."

"Ahh shit." I just sighed.

"He misses you and doesn't wanna sleep in his own bed. I've been letting him sleep in here for the past week but that's gotta stop so I plugged in your lamp in his room and... I just don't know what to do anymore Ronnie!" I started to cry, feeling so overwhelmed.

"Shh, don't cry. Look, I'm arranging for you guys to come out here, I'll give you more details in the morning." I wiped my eyes, taking a deep breath.

"If you don't mind, can you talk to Mason if he's still awake?"

"Yeah, just keep you guys coming out here a secret."

"Got it." I said, getting up and walking down the hall to Mason's room. I silently stepped into the room, looking at his sleeping face. I stepped out and walked back to my room. "Well, it looks like he finnaly went to sleep, can I call you when he's getting ready for school?"

"Sure."

"Okay, night babe, love you."

"Night, love you." He said before hanging up. I feel into the bed and fell into a deep sleep

****

"Bye Mason, have a good day at school." I said as I let go of his hand.

"Bye mommy!" He waved, walking over to Gabe. I went home and started packing Mason's suitcase. Ronnie and I talked a couple days ago about us three flying out and I was supposed to pick Mason up from school and drive us to the airport. We were going to be out there for a weekend, go to a couple shows and head back home.

Since we talked, I had gotten Mason a haircut and Ronnie doesn't know about it. Mason's hair did touch his shoulders and it hung right above his eyes but now it stopped at the bottom of his earlobes. I think it looked cute but I hoped Ronnie would think the same thing. I packed enough stuff for a weekend and moved on to packing my stuff along with Macy's.