Prologue

Picture this, you were chosen to shoot the heart that shot many others, mercilessly.
Plot twist : That heart belongs to you. Would you still shoot ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We have a crisis Ms. Evans" said Mr. Payne, the head of "International Secret Society" London's branch.
He was bearing a black tuxedo as usual, paired with a black Ray Ban tie with a cup of strong black coffee in his hand. So strong that Ms. Evans was able to devour it's delicious essence from across the dimly lit room.

He had this serious expression plastered over his face like all the other times, perhaps it was his position that compelled him to be negatively drastic about his emotions.
No one dared to take him lightly, and maybe this was his way of giving this information away even before one's mind crosses upon this thought.

"There have been a series of murders at one of the most prestigious universities of London. Do you have any knowledge about the same, detective ?" By the end of his sentence, Mr. Payne finally decided to let his penetrating gaze fall upon his victim, also known as Kristine Evans.

"Sir, if you are talking about the hideous deaths of few college girls of my age at Winston University, then I am afraid, yes I do have some information to share." Said the girl who liked herself to be called a lady instead.

"Please do shed some light." said Mr. Payne, with his deep voice which had a deadly threat to it.

"Well, Sir. There have been a series of mysterious deaths at Winston University, the striking trait about all of them is that only women seem to be the target of the killer. He also has this creepy style of stabbing them exactly in their heart. These innocent souls died by the difference of 2-3 months. Also, they were all fluent in French. Thats about it, Sir." Kristine answered.

"Good. Are you not joining college from next week ?" Suddenly asked Mr. Payne
This abrupt change from professional to personal topic, made Kristine more alert about her surroundings, but Mr. Payne found nothing strange in suddenly switching subjects.

"Yes Sir." Kristine replied to his question as one who works under him knows that he never speaks off topic.

"Tell me if I am wrong if I say that you have applied for St. Peters college."
said Mr. Payne

"Right Sir."

"I hope you don't mind if I change your education station from Peter's to Winston's. Though , Ms. Evans i would like to forewarn you that there is danger to life in this mission and it can turn into something ghastly at any second. It is totally your call, whether you want to take this case or not. " said Mr. Payne, not blinking his eyes and patiently waiting for her reply.

"I would like to take this case Sir." said a confident Kristine, the risk of death never stopped her from doing her duty.

"I thought you'd do that Ms Evans. Very well then, here's your acceptance letter." said Mr. Payne handing out an officially stamped and approved letter by the principal of Winston University, Sir George.

"Excuse me Sir, if I am not mistaken , is not the Principal of this university your best mate ?" Questioned Kristine unable to resist the question. At this Mr. Payne let out a small fit of laugh " I may say girl, that is the same reason you are heading to this University. This case has the power of shutting the University and thus it must be kept away from Public's eye. Thus you may not find anyone in that university who will know anything about this murder more than you. " Concluded Mr. Payne.

That is when someone rapped their knuckles on the oak door from the other side.

Great they had a visitor.

"Come in." said Mr. Payne.
In came a man, dressed in formals. He carried out style so effortlessly that it seemed to be a part of his skin.
There was confidence in his walk, and a familiar smile on his face.

Familiar, because Kristine knew it too well for her own good. She had seen him flash the exact same smile just before he claimed glory.

She knew him, as she was a follower. He didn't as he was the famous guy, and like all of them he had no clue of her existence. He mastered ignoring it while she stood right next to him in her boss's cabin.

You would expect one to spare a glance, in such a situation but he was too preoccupied for such generosity.

Ironing her composure, Kristine moved her eyes from him to the other man in the room.

" Louis, meet Ms Evans. " spoke out the young man, from behind his desk breaking the awkward silence that had spread in the room.

Louis ?! Did he just address this unknown man by his first name ? Surprisingly, Kristine's mind chose to chew on these two questions as if Louis's ignorance was not enough to satisfy its hunger.

Her annoyance at his ignorance had mellowed as now his entire attention rested on her.

As Kristine still stood next to this new man in the room, with no words in her mouth, Mr. Payne was compelled to eye her to shake hands with Louis.

Taking the hint she turned to him keeping all her fangirling feelings aside.
Only to find him looking at her, right in the eye. It was a piercing stare and a polite nudge at the same time.

She decided to debate on its possibility, while he carried it off graciously proving that it was completely possible to the above said impossible act.

"Hi." Said he.
"Hello." She said.

That was about it, nothing more said or done.

They both then turned to face Mr. Payne who had summoned them, asking various unsaid questions in their own peculiar way.

Louis was playing with his gold plated watch on his right wrist half hid beneath the folds of his sleeves, while he slightly rubbed the pointed toe of his Clarke shoes on the back of his sock that clung to his left ankle.

Kristine was simply admiring her freshly glossed nails and checking the time unknowingly corresponding to Louis every time he too decided to do so.

This fidgety attitude was never much appreciated by Mr. Payne, besides he had to furnish them with the information they seemed to seek. Thus he cleared his throat for their attention which he immediately got.

"You both are working together on this case. "

As usual, he spoke to the point. Though, both were used to such bluntness this information just did not go down their neck.

"What?"
"WHY?"
They protested in sync.

"See ! Thats why. Its like you both have
some mental tuning set exactly at resonance. " was the only reply they got from their head.

There was no denying him, so they both nodded in agreement, and deep inside knew what they were getting themselves into.

A/N ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you guys like it ? It is my first fanfiction ever ! That too, on One Direction ❤️

All of the band members will play characters ;). We have already been introduced to Louis and Mr. Payne :))

What do you think will happen next? Too early a question, right ? You would soon figure out the reason behind asking this Q ! You never know what product turns out when there is amity between snow and lava....

I hope you guys liked it, stay tuned for more x If you have read so far comment 'muffin' ;)

Do not forget to vote and add this book to your library as it encourages one to write more :))