Lost Boy

"So why is he here?" Harry asks softly, staring over at the tiny boy curled up in a crib that Niall has from when he took care of his nephew. He found it strange when he saw the stranger there, seeing as the boy is surely at least 13, but one look from Niall had him accepting it as is.

Niall shrugs. That's what he's been wondering all night. He looks alright, maybe a bit beaten up from being in the cold for God knows how long, but he's definitely not homeless. His clothes are in good shape, he's relatively clean, and he seems to be a healthy weight. So who is he? Why is he here? Why was he out in the cold?

"I'm not sure," he says eventually, talking slow as he calculates his words and tries to understand where this strange boy came from. "He talks weird, like maybe he hasn't ever been to school, or he dropped out at a young age. And he seems to like being babied. Maybe he had to grow up fast so know he's living his childhood know, ya know?" He furrows his brows, rubbing his cheek in thought.

"Do you think someone is looking for him? Maybe he's not right upstairs and he wandered off?" It doesn't seem to fit either, even as Harry says it. If he was autistic or slow, he'd surely be under a bit more surveillance, plus it's so cold it wouldn't make any sense for him to be outside in the first place.

"Well we have to check the news, he's gotta be on there. His family would know he's missing by now," Harry concludes, turning on the tv. He let's it play, checking every news station for some information or a missing persons report.

Nothing. There's nothing.

"No one is looking for this child?" Niall gasps in disbelief. He's so tiny and defenseless, his mother and father have to be worried!

"This is messed up, we have to go to the police--"

"No!" The boy cries, sitting up in the crib. He rubs his eyes with little fists, the action endearing and furthering the idea that he's just a child. "No scary mens! Not want!"

Harry frowns slightly. He's never heard anyone talk like that. He slowly moves closer, the strange boy's lip trembling. He lifts his arms as if he wants to be picked up...

This is weird.

Harry decides not to question it and picks him up, not wanting to upset him. Surprisingly he cuddles into Harry easily, sniffing his neck. He's got to be a serial killer or something. People don't just go around smelling each other.

"What's your name, sweetheart?" The tall man asks gently, bouncing him on his hip. Maybe he is eleven or so, he's so tiny. "Name Lou-ee."

Good start, he has a name. "Why are you here, honey?"

Louis clings to him. "Not liking. Is hurts, so mean. Big mens looking for kitty." Niall and Harry stare at the boy in confusion, not understanding what a cat has to do with this. Harry sighs and wrinkles his nose. This boy is dirty and a little smelly. "You want a bath, Lou?"

He nods and sticks his dirty thumb in his mouth, Harry pulling it away gently. "Not yet, love. Let's get you clean first so that you don't get sick."

He takes the child to the bathroom and starts a bath, running some hot water and putting in a nice orange scented bubble bath. He's sure he's starving as well, and who knows how long he's been without a bath. Harry hums to himself as he gets everything ready, turning around and gasping, dropping the towel he was holding.

"Niall!"