Chapter 29

Almost immediately after she brought her mom home, Paige realizes how difficult it'd be to help Mrs. Sery gain weight and get healthy. And on a scale of 1 to 10 that Juli has made up, it's a 9 1/2.

"Mom, the doctor says you need to eat," Paige says one morning. She holds up a piece of toast with butter on it towards her mom. "Please, do as he says."

"I'm not hungry, Paige," Mrs. Sery says. "You can't make me eat anything if I don't want to eat." She dodges around the kitchen with Paige chasing her.

Paige growls, and puts the toast down in defeat. "Mom, you weigh 97 pounds. You're supposed to weigh at least 130," she informs. "I don't want you to have another heart attack."

"And I don't want to be fat," Mrs. Sery says. She crosses her arms.

"Mom, one toast will not make you fat," the bookworm says. "At least drink milk."

"Fine." Paige holds out a glass of milk and her mom takes it. She gulps it down and gulps for effect. "Happy now?" Mrs. Sery asks, clearly annoyed.

"No," Paige admits. "But that will have to do for now." She gets ready for school, and tells Anika to watch their mom. Paige then gets into the car and drives herself to school.

"What's her problem?" Juli asks. "She's too skinny to be considered fat."

"She's been diagnosed with anorexia," Emery says, confused.

"Argh! You know what I mean, Emery!"

"No, I don't actually," the sage admits.

"Ugh! The people I talk to!"

"Oh, gee. Thanks Juli," Paige snarks.

"Oh. Sorry."

Paige enters the school parking lot and parks. She gets out of the car, and goes through the front doors. People ignore her, and she's fine with it. She goes to her locker, thinking she's forgotten in there. She does the combination and opens the locker door. She looks all over inside before she gives up and closes the door. Paige turns around and sees Lucy walking towards her.

"Oh no," Paige says to herself.

"What the hell happened?" Lucy exclaims as she gets close. "Aside from the project, you ignored me for an entire week ever since you got the call about your mom."

"There wasn't much to talk about at the time," Paige replies. "Not unless you wanted to talk about how mischievous Anika was the whole I played 'mommy.'"

Lucy laughs. "Seriously?" she asks.

"I wish I wasn't," the bookworm replies. "If you don't mind, I'd like to go to class."

"The bell hasn't run yet," Lucy points out. "So, what's going on?" To make sure Paige can't go anywhere, Lucy blocks her way.

"Look," Paige says, holding a hand up. "I appreciate that you care enough to piss me off, but please, back off. I'd like to keep it to myself. And I'm pretty sure you have something you don't want anyone to know."

She waits, and then slowly gets Lucy out of her way. Paige gets to the first class she has and enters the room. She goes to her seat, and sits down. She takes a book out of her backpack to read, trying to blink away the tears in her eyes.