Chapter 43

"Where have you been?!" Mrs. Sery demands frantically when her daughters come home late and giggling.

"We were at Lucy's!" Anika says. "It was lots of fun!"

"Why didn't you tell me before you left?" she asks Paige. "I was worried for the last two hours."

"Sorry, mom," Paige replies. "Lucy really needed some company tonight."

"Then you should have invited her here instead!" Mrs. Sery's tone changes to anger.

"Alright, fine." Paige puts her hands up in defense. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you," she apologizes again. "It won't happen again."

"Make sure it doesn't." Mrs. Sery leaves the kitchen in a huff.

Anika looks up at Paige. "What's up with her?" she asks.

"I'm . . . not really sure," Paige says. "Well, it's getting late, and it's a school night. Why don't you head off to bed then?"

"Ugh, fine." Anika goes to her room, grumbling about how she has to go to bed early.

"Talk about a grumpy kid," Juli comments. "Next thing you'll know she's getting into trouble at school."

"Yeah, after she's done testing at home to make sure she knows what to use for trouble," the bookworm says. Emery chuckles at her snarkiness.

"What do you think is going to happen now that Lucy knows about us?" Juli asks. "I mean, she's hardly said a word about us the rest of the time you and Anika were over."

"I imagine she'll stop talking to me," Paige guesses. "Not a lot of people like to be friends with the ones with voices in their heads."

"Lucy definitely knew something was in your head at the café," Emery mentions. "And she didn't stop talking to you."

"She was curious," Paige says. "If you're curious about someone, then you wouldn't leave them alone until you get the answer you're looking for."

"Then again, she has confessed that she's into girls," Emery says. "And she doesn't know that you are, too. Lucy probably thinks it's fair. You support her, and she keeps your secret."

Paige yawns. She hasn't realized she's exhausted. "Maybe you're right," she says. "I'll try to talk to her at school, and see if she's OK with you guys."

She goes to her room and gets ready for bed. When she's in her pajamas, the bookworm heads to her sister's room. She finds Anika in her bed, reading. She quietly turns to another page.

"Anika," Paige says softly. Anika looks up. "You need to sleep now."

"But I'm almost done with this chapter!" she says. "Can I please finish it?"

Paige laughs to herself. Anika reminds her of when she was little, always asking her mom for an extension. "OK, fine. But I'm coming back in 5 minutes. And you better be asleep by then." She leaves the room and goes back to her own bed.

"Lucy better accept me," Juli says. "I'm awesome."

"You'll be fine," Emery responds. "She'll love you for your antics."

"Say what? How will she love that?"

Paige can imagine Emery shrugging. "Strange things happen, Juli. You'll have to accept it."

"Hey! I'm not strange. Am I, Paige?"

The bookworm pulls the blanket over her. "I'm not even listening," she says. "Emery, you can answer the question for me."

"I'm not strange!" Juli protests once more.