Chapter Six

The next morning I woke up to the sound of company. I could hear my mother talking to somebody but I just didnt know who it was. I flipped the covers back and got up. I went to my bedroom door and slowly cracked it so I could hear what was being said..

"I know."

"Well when is it going to happen Gina?"

"I dont know yet. I gotta ease into it."

The only thing that was clear to me now was the fact that she was talking to Frank. I just didnt know what they were talking about. I continued to listen..

"If this is going to work.. I need you to handle that Gina."

"Dont even do that Frank, this is not something you can rush. Do you know how long Ive been keeping this secret?"

"Its gotta come out sooner or later."

"Youre right but Im not going to act like its nothing."

"I tell you what.. you just call me when its done."

A few seconds later I heard the door open and close.

The house was silent.

I walked out of the room and went into the hallway bathroom to tend to my morning rituals.

I heard my mother's footsteps coming up the stairs and approaching the bathroom door.

"Trina?"

"Ma'am?"

"We need to talk when you're done." She said through the closed door.

I didnt know what to expect from this talk but I was going to act like I never heard the whole conversation between her and Frank.

"Okay.." I responded as I ran the shower.

When I finished I headed to my room to find something to wear. I chose a pair of colorful fabletics exercise capris with the matching top and a pair of white sneakers. I pulled my hair up into a high pony and went downstairs.

I found my mother sitting in the living room typing on her laptop.

"What is it that you wanted to talk about?" I asked her.

It took awhile for her to reply but she finished what she was doing and closed her computer.

"Sit down Trina." She said as she looked at me.

I did as told.

"If youre about to talk about last night then let me just say that I apologize for my actions but Ma.. I can only take so much." I began.

"Trina.. sometimes a mother has to sacrifice her happiness for her children. I only have one of you and your happiness means the world to me. Whatever I do I think about how it would or could affect you.. but.."

I listened to mother speak. Half of me already knew where this was going but the other half wasnt ready to face it.

".. but.. There comes a time when a woman, who has been standing and doing things on her own, wants to find that one man who loves and appreciates her for all she is.. but a woman who has children has always got to think about the feelings that this may bring upon them as well. Trina, all I want to do is give you a support system from both a mother and a father. I know that you may not see it now but Frank is just the kind of father figure you need in your life."

"I know you love Frank ma but its not easy to let someone new in when youre still holding on to someone else."

"You cant keep holding on to your father.. its time for you to let that go and focus on getting to know Frank. If I didnt believe that Frank was the right man, I wouldnt have brought him into your life, let alone let you met him but until you let your father go you will forever find something wrong with Frank."