Chapter Twenty Two

I kept the book in my hand as I went back to my room. I sat down on the bed and flipped through the pages. It was empty all the way through. She didnt write in it but she kept it.. I thought to myself.

I heard a knock on the door as I sat there. I got up to answer it.

"Who is it?" I asked as I made my way to the door.

"Rashad."

I opened it.

"You didnt go to school today?"

"How could I after the news I just heard."

"You to huh.."

He nodded as he walked in and took a seat on the sofa.

"So whats going through your head right now?" I asked.

"Everything. Ion even understand why she just didnt tell me."

"I dont know either. Thats exactly what Ive been asking myself too.."

"Look at us.." He began. "Our lives have been nothing but a lie."

"Aint that the truth."

"Part of me wants to be mad.. but the other part doesnt. I mean if it wasnt for her.. Id probably be in a foster home somewhere. I guess it was meant for the better."

"Maybe so. Maybe all if this is for the better.." I said.

He looked at me.

I reached over and handed him the other half of the book.

"She wasnt lying Rashad."

He was silent.

"Remember when I said all I wanted was answers?"

"Yeah."

"Well, Im getting them."

"But dont you think this is a bit extreme."

"I didnt expect this but like you said everything will become clear in a matter of time.. and thats just whats happening."

"Youre taking this better than I am." He responded rubbing his fingers through his hair.

I grabbed the side of his face.

"Even though she isnt your mother.. that doesnt change who you are.. neither does it change who I am. Its better that we found out now than later."

"Youre right." He said. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a picture. "She gave me this."

I looked down at the picture and saw Mrs. Harris and Rashonda.

"You do look like her." I said.

"I realized that too."

We were silent for awhile.

"You know what, Im not even going to stress this. Everything happens for a reason and she didnt have to come back for me.."

I looked at him as he talked. I was glad that he was turning his whole mood around about the situation. I was trying to keep a good mood around him but in the inside, I was a ticking time bomb. Gina wanted to talk so thats exactly what we were going to do..

Rashad stayed over a little while longer, leaving before it was time for Gina to come home.

4:30 Showed on the clock and I recieved a text.

GinaLove: We're going to talk over dinner. I made reservations at Brulé for 6:00. Be there. 4:30pm

I went and took a shower before I changed. I put on a pair of dark levi jeans and a georgia bulldogs pullover. There was no need to dress up for an occasion like this.

When 5:20 rolled around I was grabbing my keys and walking out the door.

I pulled up in Joann's driveway and got out. I knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" I heard Mrs. Valdez ask.

"Trina."

She unlocked the door and opened it.

"Hey honey. Come in." She said.

I walked in and she shut the door behind me.

"Hey momma V., Is Joann here?"

"Yeah. She's in her room." She responded.

I walked to where Joann was, knocking on the door once before I walked on in.

"Hey girl whats up, I got the work you asked for." She greeted as she opened her notebook to retrieve the papers.

"Man, fuck that shit."

"Damn, who done torched your ass."

"You wont believe the shit Ive been through since we left from zaxbys that day."

"What happened?"

"You know I went to see Rashad that day right." I said as I started pacing the floor.

"Yeah."

"Well we ended up going to his house and his mother was there. Everything was going good, we were socializing and everything. Rashad brought up your birthday and I was telling him that we're only a month apart and that my birthday was on January the 11 and then next thing I know she storms out the kitchen. Long story short, she says Im her daughter."

"What the hell!?"

"I know right. Same thing I was thinking."

"But wouldnt that make you and Rashad..brother and sister?"

"She's not even his real mother." I said as I stoped pacing. "But get this, she has the same background story as momma V."

"The one about Ricardo?"

"Yes."

Joann paused for a moment.

"Ma!" She called as she got up off the bed."This is some lifetime movie shit! What makes her think youre her daughter.."

Joann's mother walked in before I could answer her question.

"Ma, remember the story you told us about the man named Ricardo?"

"Yes." She responded while looking at Joann.

"Well, Trina is about to blow your mind.."

Joann's mother turned and looked at me.

"Momma V., do remember what the woman you escaped with looked like?"

"I just know she was a mid height. Brown skin.. she had these big brown eyes and long eyelashes.."

"Was her last name Harris?"

She thought for awhile.

"Yes.. yes.. it was.."

I pulled out my phone and texted Rashad asking him what his mother's real name was and to send me the picture he showed me.

Rashad: Yolanda Harris. 5:39pm

"Was her name Yolanda?" I asked Ms. Valdez.

"Oh my.. it was.." She said in shock.

I recieved the picture from Rashad and showed it to her.

"Thats her!, Oh my God, How did you find her? The last time we talked she was telling me she had given up her baby and how she had made the worst mistake of her life.. That was like a month before I found out I was pregnant with Joann.."

I sat down on Joann's bed.

"Ms. Valdez.. I think Im the baby she gave away."

"What?"

"Its me.. everything you just said confirmed it.."

She looked at me in shock.

"I gotta go." I said getting up.

"But Trina!" I heard Jo call for me as I made it out the door.

"I'll call you later Joann. I just need a minute." I responded as I got in my car and pulled off.