Chapter 2

"Good morning, sunshine! Good morning, Surry! Wake up and sing along or I will eat you!" Adrian yelled out his terrible parody of Happy Birthday.

"Shut your horrible parrot-like voice up." I groaned and rolled over to the edge of the bed. I reached my hand up, eyes closed, to punch him lightly, but my fist connected with something hard. His face.

"Oww, sis! What'd you do that for?" He rubbed his face and grimaced.

"That was light, Adrian. Stop overreacting."

"I think," he threw his arms up bossily, "that you owe me an apology, not an accusation."

"Fine, sorry." I yawned as I paddled towards the bathroom like a penguin. Adrian stared after me, a funny look running across his face. He turned away, and I caught sight of his cheeks slightly burning.

What was that for?

"You're, um," he coughed, looking anywhere but me, "you're underwear is showing under your shorts, Surry."

I looked down. And shrieked. "Ew!! You pervert, Adrian!! Get lost!" I screamed as I slammed the bathroom door in his face and leaned against the wall. I wish I could just die right now. That was so embarrassing.

I could hear Adrian chuckling outside. "I don't get why you dress up to go sleep, Sur. You could just wear those pajamas mom bought you."

Yeah, sure. At 16, I should wear My Little Pony pink pajamas to go to sleep and be woken up seen by you. When it comes to anything outside of sports and academic, Adrian is seriously slow.

After shooing him out of the room, I changed to an oversized T-shirt and baggy shorts to make myself comfortable, and head out to the dining room.

Adrian's a great cook. He's awesome, really. He's even better at cooking than I am, even though he's a boy. Breakfast, which consisted of scrambled eggs and a sandwich, was neatly laid out on the table. A rumble made its way into my stomach, and we began digging in.

Adrian didn't say I word. Nor did I. I guess we were still embarrassed from the incident.

Ding, dong.

"Oops," I said, getting up. "That's probably Ellie." I went out to get the door, and out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw Adrian frowning and shaking his head slightly.

"Hi!" Ellie chirped. Then added in hushed whisper, "I'm excited."

"Just don't be too excited and mess it up." I warned.

"Yes, of course, Surry."

"Hi," Adrian smiled at her, appearing behind me. "I'm gonna practice soccer in the backyard for a while. You guys have fun."

Ellie looked at me, her eyes twinkling as if to say, "we're going to have lots of fun."

I rolled my eyes at her and led her to my room, where we'll discuss the 'battle plan'.

"So..." Ellie examined my room and finally her eyes landed on me, "what's the secret?"

"Haven't you notice?"

She frowned. "Notice what?"

"Adrian usually accepts anyone when he's single." I told her. "Like now."

Ellie contemplated it for a moment before her eyes brighten up. "Seriously!?"

"Yup."

"Oh my God. Yes!" She squealed. "So can we start now? The confession?" She rambled. "Oh my God, like I'm going to be so shy, and he's going to be like, 'what?' and I'll say my confession, and I'll blush, and he'll smile, and-"