People These Days

We do it all,

Everything, on our own.

We don’t need anything,

Or anyone.

If I lay here,

If I just lay here,

Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

                I rolled over to hit the snooze on my phone. Chasing Cars was a nice song to wake up to. I’ve always loved waking up to such a romantic song. Well, in my mind it is very romantic and it’s always been a beautiful song to me. It’s just so relaxing to listen to it.

                Five minutes passed, and the song came on again. This time, I turned off my alarm, and sat up in my bed. I spaced out a little until I was more awake. I finally got out of bed, and walked across my messy room over to my dresser to get my sports bra and a pair of socks. After that, I went into my closet, which was to the left of my bed, to get a white tank top, some orange shorts, and my running shoes.

                After collecting my running clothing, I went into my bathroom, which was right across from my bed. I set my clothes down on the long counter space, and then proceeded to pull my long light brown hair back into a pony tail so I could wash my face.

                Washing my face felt amazing. I loved to feel the warm water on my face; it put me at peace. Sometimes I would splash my face with the water a few extra times just because it felt so nice. I love water. I could probably live in it.

                Finally, I decided that I probably had gotten all of the soap off my face and so I turned off the faucet, and wiped my face dry in my towel, which was on the back of the bathroom door. With my face washed and now dried, I started to change into my clothes for running. Once I had finished changing, I opened my bathroom door for a second so I could toss my pajamas onto my bed.

                “Um…. What’s next?” I thought out loud. I was spacing out again. Standing in the doorway of my bathroom, I gazed out of the window on the other side of the room. It was such a beautiful sunny day. I couldn’t wait to get out and go for a good long run. I always get exhilarated when I run. I feel as free as a bird. I feel like nothing could stop me or slow me down.

                I broke my gaze after a minute or so, so I could continue my morning routine. I took a few steps back into my bathroom and opened the drawer that was in the counter. I pulled out my toothbrush and toothpaste and then applied the paste to the brush. It was such a relief to brush my teeth. I hated having morning breath. It disgusted me beyond belief. I brushed for a good five minutes until I felt that my teeth felt clean and that my breath was minty fresh.

                “Ah clean teeth” I smiled as I put away the brush and paste. I then glanced up at my reflection in the mirror; my smile faltered. “Is that really me?” I wondered aloud. I have always been disgusted with my appearance. For some odd reason, I’ve been told I’m very good looking, but I’ve never been able to wrap my head around why. What was so attractive about a young woman with wavy light brown hair, hazel eyes, freckles, small features, average size body and height? I actually don’t like how I look at all. I feel so plain. I feel so normal with the way I appear. I have always liked being different. So, looking the way I do makes me sad.

                Sighing, I left and walked out of my bedroom through the hallway and went into my kitchen to grab a water bottle from my cupboard. I reached up to the top shelf and then I walked over to my sink and filled the bottle with the water from the filter.