Prologue: I

"I wish he never died." Chloe spoke softly, continuing to drive. "It wasn't anyone's fault, Chloe." Max replied, turning to her. "I blame her for wanting a ride." The taller girl growled. "It wasn't her fault." Max protested. "It was! It's all her fault!" Chloe slammed the breaks, pulling the car to the side and a halt . "You have a way with time, don't you? Why don't you go back and change it?!" She turned to Max. Her eyes glinted with anger, and sadness. "You don't think I haven't tried? You don't even know the outcome!" Max cried. "I bet it'd be better than this!" Chloe threw her hands in the air. "No, Chloe! It wasn't!" Max yelled, "You got in an accident! You were paralyzed!" Tears welled up in the brunette's eyes.

"The day after I came back, and visited you, and we hung out. I was with you, and you asked me to turn the IV to eleven and let you die! You died in front of me, I was the one to let you go!" Max started to hyperventilate. She unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of the car. She sat on the side of the road, head in her hands. Chloe got out of the car as well, and sat beside Max hesitantly. "Max, I-"

"It's fine, Chloe." She looked up at the other. "After you had me kill you I.. I went back and let your dad go in the car." She sighed softly. "I just couldn't live in a world without you.."

"My life doesn't really ma-"

"It does." Max protested, "It does matter. Don't you see, Chloe? You are my life. Why do you think I went back and let your dad die and keep you alive? Why do you think I'm so jealous of Rachel? Why do you think I kissed you? I love you. If Rachel didn't have you, she would be another missing person without a voice!" Max exclaimed, attempting to cover up her confession.

"What did you say before Rachel?" Chloe asked, "After your confession of being jealous, and asking me why did I think you kissed me? What was that?" The blue and purple haired girl leaned closer to the brunette. Max's cheeks flushed and she stood up. "Nothing." she mumbled and started to walk back to Chloe's old truck.

"Maxine, I'm not finished with you." Quickly, the smaller girl hopped in the passenger seat and closed the door before Chloe could pull her back. "Aw, c'mon!" Chloe smirked, opening the car door before Max could lock it. "Don't rewind on me, now." The brunette stubbornly crossed her arms and looked the other way. "I would if I wanted to.." She trailed off, huffing. "Although I would have just kissed you instead of hiding it."

"Hiding what?" Chloe grinned, turning the brunette's face to face hers. "That I-"