6. The Lover's Lie

The Traitor's Wish
Chapter 6
The Lover's Lie

Kade had been stuck in a rather boring report since bloody dawn. Sleeping peacefully he was, until he was rudely awakened by the pounding on the door. Knowing Emma never knocked, he grunted and rolled over, not looking forward to the company.

"Come in." He groaned unhappily.

The door creaked open and four men walked in, his regiment. "Sorry to wake you, General Kade. King David requests we give you a full report." Sir Dane spoke. He was the replacement while Kade was held up in bed, unfortunately for him not the good way.

The patrols were still down one man though. Dane was just stepping in place of General. He could fight, but there wasn't that air about him that Kade had. He was the one fighting Killian in the last round in training. The king could tell the men needed Kade back. He brought a liveliness to the Patrol Guard and the desperately needed him healed by the Festival.

"Alright, continue." Kade said, sitting up and running the drowsiness from his eyes.

"After the attack, we searched the area." He explained. Fear sprouted in Kade. If any of the crew had been found, it would all be traced to his last name.

"Unfortunately, we had no luck, but we found a break in the walls where they got through, and it's already been patched." He said, standing stiffly with the others by the door.

"Good, and what of the upcoming ball?" He asked, quickly stepping back into the acting, the lies.

Weston Flukes broke the stiff environment, practically falling back in the chair with an excited sigh. "We're working it of course, but the queen's already promised someone will be there to take our posts halfway through the festivities."

The room quickly filled with chatter as the other men pulled chairs over, sitting around Killian in a circle.

"We'll get to dance," Daylor said excited, "all the girls in the palace." He sighed.

"Forget the peasants, the princess is the only person I'd settle for a dance with." Hughs said with a sly grin. "Imagine that blonde beauty in bed. Bloody siren that one."

If Kade was in good health, he would have jumped across the room and punched him in the jaw. He did fly up, staring Hughs in the eyes, but pain rippled through his stomach, forcing him to stop. "You will not talk about the princess like that." He said slowly, eyes dark.

Most of the men looked shocked, Hughs moved back slightly, seeming more annoyed then fearful. "What? You know we're all thinking of it. It's been a rumor for months. Emma needs a suitor. It's the reason half of us volunteered. Don't tell me you came here because you wanted to." He spit back.

Kade had to swallow the guilt, the truth of why he came for. Surely he knew his feeling had changed, but alas much to our displeasure, he planned on carrying out the quest, even with his growing affection for Emma.

"I came here because the king needed men." He explained slowly, with all seriousness.

"Whatever you say general, I didn't mean to offend, but most of us haven't even had a conversation with Princess Emma. You seem rather close, perhaps you could tell us about her?" A fire burns in his gaze as he apologizes.

"The only kindness Emma has towards me is because of my rather unfortunate injury." He said calmly, leaning back against his pillow. His scar throbbed with pain, and he wished ever so desperately for them to leave.

"But what about your ride to the village?" Austin asked. "The gatekeepers told us they say you go out on horseback. That was before your injury."

"The king ordered she take me because I've put the most work in at training." He said with growing anger. "I suggest if you want to befriend the princess, you show the king that you are here to work. Maybe she'll ofer you a pity dance at the ball after She has danced with me all bloody night." He spat out.