Acquitted By Two

Nick was back at home, fixing a bowl of soup for Staci, who was still lying unconscious on the sofa in the living room. A blanket covered her, and her face was still wet from the tears she had borne less than a few hours ago. Hovering over the pot, Nick tasted the soup. His eyes began to water from the amount of spicing he had used. "Well, if this doesn't wake her up, nothing will." Carrying a bowl over to the young woman, he spooned a little onto her lips, and into her mouth.

Staci lightly gagged and softly opened her eyes. She held her forehead. "What...where am I?"

Nick looked around the room, and back to Staci. "My apartment, of course. You've been here before. That fall on your head must have really knocked the sense out of you."

She sat there for a moment quietly, recalling everything that had happened. Nick had killed her father. That was the first thing that bounced around in her brain. She remembered him pulling the plug as if it was two seconds ago. "Yeah, I guess so..." She tossed the blanket off of her and got off the sofa. "Take me home, Nick."

Nick reached over to Staci and rubbed her soft face. Her complexion was that of silk, and the soft glow of her eyes was irresistible. Returning his hand to his side, he took a sip of the soup. "I...I don't know if you'll ever be able to forgive me for what I've done - but I need you to trust me. It was for the greater good. You must understand." He paused in desperation. "Please."

Staci scoffed. "You're full of shit, Nick." She walked closer to him, nose to nose. "You killed my father. What gives you that right? Who are you to play God and decide whether my father deserves to live or not? How would you feel if I just went and killed your father or mother? Or anyone you cared about? I can't believe you would do something like that and justify it as the greater good. Take me home Nick, now!"

Nick sighed, looking into her eyes. "Then the only thing you'd be doing is committing suicide. Because the only person I care about," he paused for a moment, "is you." Taking her hand into his, he continued to keep his gaze into her eyes. Leaning in closer, he gently tapped his lips against hers. "I've waited a long time to tell you this, but now I believe it appropriate. I love you, Staci. I want to be with you forever."

It just seemed like Nick had several surprises up his sleeves, like he was a magician. She didn't know how to reply to the kiss or to the "I love you". She stared at him for a while, not saying a word. So many things were happening today. Her emotions were going wild. She stuttered. "I-I-I...what?"

Nick bowed his head and turned around. "I love you. I have ever since we met. But, I was too nervous and preoccupied to ever tell you...and now these circumstances have brought the worst out of me, and I felt like you needed to know." Turning back to Staci, a tear dripped down his face. "I never meant to hurt you. You mean the world to me. But that man was only attempting to coerce you, please believe me. I can read the signs. It...it was all happening so fast." Nick's face became serious. "I needed to get you away from him."

Staci started to cry and she moved away from Nick. "So you're playing God now, Nick? Is that what you're doing? I'm a grown woman! I can handle myself." She threw her head into her hands, weeping, and crying louder. She couldn't believe all this was happening. "Take. Me. Home."

Nick nodded his head, walking over to the counter. Grabbing his keys, he looked sympathetically at Staci. "How long have you known me, Staci?" He stood in front of her, raising an eyebrow.

She scoffed. "Not long enough to know that you're a murderer."

Nick closed his eyes and sighed. He knew that she could never understand, in fact, he didn't even understand. Instead of opening the door and walking to the car, he made the decision. Ambling over to the counter, he picked up the white, slim-line telephone and dialed '0'. Within a few moments, the operator appeared on the end of the line.