Prologue

Prologue

ALEC'S POV

Alec Howard was sitting in class staring at her and she was staring at the teacher. She, being Lily Rose Fable, was a quiet, intelligent girl. She wasn't the typical girl that he should like but that just made it harder for Alec not to fall for her. Lily had long dark brown hair and such light blue eyes that they could be mistaken for grey. She was quite a small girl with skinny arms and legs, a flat chest and a short stature. Alec on the other hand had dark golden blonde hair, brown eyes and and interesting sharp, angled face. He was very good looking and he had girls every second week asking him on dates, he almost always turned them down. He was naturally fit but wasn't overly 'tank' as his friends would say. Lily was at Rowville Performing Arts High School, RPAHS, for dance and Alec was there for Drama. A lot of his friends were frankly very pretentious and talked about their vegetarian or vegan lifestyles half the time and the other half they'd be practicing drama skits. Lily's friends also talked about their diets for an unhealthy sum of time but she liked to read and block them out. They often would practice dancing in the breaks and then Alec could watch her balletic grace and admirer her from afar, as he so often did, without the slightest chance of her seeing him watching her. The bell rang for lunch and Lily pulled out her book, he couldn't quite see the title but he still knew he wouldn't have read it. Blake, one of Alec's less pretentious friends, like Aiden and Aron, was standing in front of him. He was midsentence before Alec drew his attention away from Lily to Blake. He was practising Hamlet.

"Seriously dude, stop staring at Lil, you make it so obvious." Blake was one of the few of Alec's friends that knew how he felt about Lily.

"Love is over rated man." Blake said in a heavy tone. He was dumped a few weeks ago by Cassie, who he'd been going out with for just over four months. He was still 'getting over it' as he says.

"Blake?"

"Yeah man?" Alec opened his mouth about to ask something about him and Cassie but thought better of it and shut it with a snap.

"Never mind, I'm going. See ya out there." He spun on his heels and walked off. He saw a boy, Chad Henrys, talking to Lily. He could just make out what he was saying.

"So, what are you doing Friday night?" Lily looked astonished and, to Alec's surprise, looked around the room and rested her eyes on him.

"I- I have dancing." She stuttered.

"After?"

"Homework, sorry." She walked off, head turned to the ground. Why had she looked at him? Why had she turned down one of the most popular boys in school?

Maybe she just doesn't like vegan assholes, Alec thought and smiled at the idea of her not falling for another guy, even if she wasn't falling for him.

LILY'S POV

Lily walked out of the room, swearing under her breath. She hadn't wanted to go out with Chad, she had made a bad excuse but he had understood. It was the look she was upset about. She had look straight at Alec, maybe he hadn't realized, but they had made eye contact and it had excited her.

"What the hell!" Amy cried, "What is wrong with you, why'd you turn down Chad?"

"I don't like him, not in that way at least. You know that." Lily said defiantly, she wouldn't feel bad about it.

"Alec is never going to like you in that way, I'm sorry but it's true." Lily turned to look at her. Amy was Lily's best friend but she could be a little too unaware of her feelings sometimes. A small tear fell down Lily's cheek. She knew it was true but Amy's words and harsh tone had hit hard. Amy was another dancer at RPAHS and she had been dating Aiden Chai for exactly two years as of next week. They were the couple that everyone envied but still loved, they were easily the best couple in the school now that Blake and Cassie were broken up. Amy pulled her into a hug; it was a boney hug, they were both dancers, but still a hug as warm and familiar as her bed at home. She wiped the tears away and cleared her throat. Amy took her by the arm and they started down the stairs.