Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Walking into the fashionable restaurant on Pitt Street in the Central Business District, there was an exciting feel to this place.  An internationally known English Chef had put his original stamp here and I couldn’t wait to taste the food.

It was midday and the sun shining down its warm rays.  I was happy to be in the air conditioning.  I was seated in a booth at the window and with all the tall buildings around it was enough to keep the hot sun from beaming through.  

There was my beautiful mother looking very summery in a floral silk dress that skimmed her knees, she walked in scanning the restaurant until she spotted me.  Rushing over she enveloped me with her Chanel No5 and kissed me on both cheeks.  Looking into eyes that mirrored my own, except for more lines, it was comforting to be in her arms.  Sometimes all a girl needed was to talk to her mother.  

“Hi mum, I’m so happy we got to catch up before I leave tomorrow,” I didn’t know what came over me but my lip immediately started to quiver.

“Oh Addison darling whats the matter,” she questioned, concern evident in her voice and her eyebrows knitting together.   She pulled my hands into hers snuggly as we sat at the table.  My Midnight Blue was the last one to hold my hands only this

morning...And her question is all it took, the tears fell down my cheeks.

“Mum I met someone at that stupid singles fundraiser, he is the most gorgeous man imagineable, caring and commanding all at once.  He has no idea about these feelings churning inside me.  I can’t possibly leave tomorrow knowing that I will never see him again.” 

So I proceeded to pour the whole story out to my mother, whilst picking at my lunch, from the first lingering look and the singles ball to our date this afternoon.  Knowing my mother so well I didn’t leave a morsel of information out, I knew she would demand to know all the details.

“Darling when will you realize that you deserve so be loved just like any other person in this world.  Damn that Alex, why did he have to scar you so and make you feel that you would fail any relationship just because you decided to follow your heart, which incidentally he didn’t look after very will did he?” She tut tutted shaking her head.

Oh my dear mother, she was my biggest champion in life.  We looked alot alike, same dark hair, although hers was cut in to a shoulder length bob.  Blue eyes like my own, Terese was only 45 years old and looked fantastic.  She relished the outdoors as much as I did and spent her days working at her cafe on the Central Coast where I grew up.

I relished these talks with her, they were few and far between.  Terese always made me feel like I could conquer the world, but I was just me.  The last of the un-romantics.

I proceeded to tell her about Ethan and his business here in Australia.  Although the details where in short supply I tell her what I know.  The fact that we both travelled and don’t even live in the same city back in the US goes to show me that destiny is not on our side.

Yes he is adorable and irresistible but after tomorrow I wouldn’t see him again.  My life will carry on in Manhattan, a wonderful existence that I hadn’t dreamt would become my reality while I was still only twenty-four years old.   Moving was always an option but really what would the point be when I am not there for weeks at a time.