Second Line

"What do you think?" I asked Macey and held up the finished draft of her dress.

"I love your works talaga Madamme Acelle! It looks very beautiful!" Dyelana enthusiastically remarked and we all laughed.

Dyelana is Macey's secretary. She's a comical girl.

"Hay nako, Dye. Tama na 'yan. Nagfafangirl ka na naman." Macey said, closing her laptop. "Oh damn! Ikaw ang gumawa nito, Ate?" She traced the lines with her finger.

I laughed. "Malamang ako! Alangan si Mason?"

"Pilosopo ka talaga Ate. Uhm... Dye, pwede bang kuhanin mo kay Mr. Alcaraz ang summative report ng North Luzon?" Pakiusap ni Macey. Tumango naman ito at ngumiti bago umalis. Maced closely looked at the design. "Oh God, I can almost feel as if I'm a queen! I love it!"

Yumakap sakin si Macey. Yumakap din ako pabalik.

My sister is so sweet. I'm so blessed.

"Thank you talaga, Ate." She sniffed and I nearly laughed.

Ang babaw minsan ng luha ng kapatid ko.

"I want you to know that I'm really honored and glad to represent your creation." Macey said. "Alam kong meron pang ibang models na mas magaling sa akin." She sniffed, "Mas experienced, mas kilala, pero you said yes to me."

She loosened her hug and wiped her falling tears.

Self-confidence is my sister's problem. I noticed it before she graduated junior high. But she never told me anything about it. Not even a detail.

So I decided not to ask her. She's waved away when I confronted her about it. It that clearly means she doesn't want to talk about it. At least, not now. I just want to guide and inspire her to do more.

"Listen, Macey." I tucked her stray hair and smiled. "I said yes because I believe in you. Hindi lang kita nakuha last year dahil busy ka. Dad was pressuring you about the launch... I knew about that. I was happy to see dad look up, smiling at you while you delivered a speech." A tear ran down her cheeks. "We all clapped at you throughout the years. The way you managed the path that was far from what you wanted. It was hard but hell, you made it! So you see, I'm the one who's honored, Macey. Honored to have you as my best friend and a sister who's responsible, genuine and fun to be with." I finished and the room was again filled with sobs. I blinked the forming tears in my eyes.

Shit. I'm not going to cry.

Ugh. Ang lakas makahawa ni Macey.

She wiped her tears with the back of her palm.

Oh God.

"Stop that, Macey. Nasisira ang make-up mo." Kapag hindi ka tumigil, masisira din make-up ko.

"S-sorry, Ate. Na-nakakaiyak ka kasi. Pi-pinapaiyak m-mo ako! Panira k-ka... may meeting ako later with the regional m-managers eh." She laughed, restraining her sobs.

"I have a cotton and a make-up remover. Just redo your eyes." Inabot ko sakanya ang pouch ko kasabay ang facial tissue. "Here. Wipe those off. Baka maturn-off ang mga alagad mong may crush sa'yo." I joked, pushing away the emotional feelings that surrounded us.

Macey stood in front of the mirror and started wiping the sides of her eye while I modeled in front of the mirror.

Fabulous.

"Ate, ano na pala ang nangyari dun sa client mo?" Macey suddenly asked and I remembered the second reason why I visited her.

I grinned and replied in as-a-matter-of-factly tone. "Phoebe managed to slip me into another meeting with her. It's fine now. Miss Morgan likes my designs more than Emerald's."

"Tapos?" She looked hopefully at me and I saw something in her eyes... I just can't point out what it is.

"Well... she's going to wear three of my designs!" I squealed and whipped my hair. Macey looked hilariously at me. "She even invited me to her wedding." I also informed.

Gosh. I'm so excited! It's my first time to style a wedding gown and I am glad Miss Morgan liked it!

"H-ha? O-okay... uh. Pupunta ka, Ate? Uhh... kasi alam mo na Ate diba... kasi dati ano siya. Pero she changed na ata kasi ano diba?" She continuously spoke.

I looked at her quizically. Is there something wrong?

"I didn't promise but I told her I'll try. I'll be very busy. My days are jam-packed." I said and unexpectedly, my phone rang.

I picked up my phone after seeing Phoebe's name on the screen. "Hi, Ma'am! Good morning! Andito na po yung materials for the dress."

"Oh okay that's great! I'll be back right away." I replied and ended the call.