The Twist

"Natasha!!" I rushed hurriedly down the street to the fluorescent yellow “Caution!” tape, eager to see what my partner had found. My partner was a world renowned detective, and we were working on a case called in by an anonymous person. "Special agent Ivan Kapatchi," I held my F.B.I badge out to the idiotic cops that were obstructing my path, and they granted me entry to the allyway. I walked over to my partner, Natasha Tabakov. She had a thicker figure and wavy brown hair that cascaded down to her lower shoulders. She had the most intriguing jungle green eyes with specks of gold that could hide her emotions like the jungle hides its predators.

"Natasha, what have you found?"

"Well, the girl was stabbed in the stomach by a 3 inch blade, and we assume she bled out. We still haven't found any marks or evidence, but it's early in the case and I have the team dusting for fingerprints now." She had a thick Russian accent and she spoke very seductively, even about murder cases.

"So all we know is what the murder weapon is?" I asked, surprised out team hasn't found anything more.

"Well, not even that. All we know is it was a blade about three inches long. We can't tell yet what type it is or if it was registered to anyone." She sighed and continued, "Like I said earlier though, it's early in the case and…”

She was interrupted by one of our detectives yelling he's found something. We both ran over to the dumpster where the unidentified, bloody body lay.

Alex, our main forensic detective, spoke quickly but quietly. "This was not just a murder, our victim was searched. The pocket flap of her coat is rumpled as though it was hastily searched through and we dusted her and the ground for prints. There are prints on her coat pocket and there's a size 11 1/2 shoe print leaving the scene in the direction of the city limits." I, once again, was surprised.

"Can we find the shoe print origin? As in what shoe it belongs to? And what store sells the shoe?" I asked.

"I have the team running a scan now, but the search results are slim. This isn't a sneaker, it isn't a dress shoe, I don't know what it is... But whatever it is, there aren't many of them around. Which makes our job easier if we can find it."

I smiled. Our team was the best in all of Boston, so we were very likely to find him. Or her. Or it. Whatever did this was going to pay, the victim looked so innocent. Why would anyone hurt her like that? And what were they looking for?