Chapter 27

I gave Jenn a strange look, trying my best to not let her know how true her words were. "What?"

"I saw the look on your face when Max told us about his plan," Did I really make it that obvious?

I stepped aside, letting her in. "Hundreds of people are gonna die if we do this," I finally said as I sat next to her on the couch.

"Hundreds of Divergents," Jenn countered.

"Divergents are people too, ya know." I snapped.

"You would know, wouldn't you?" I looked away from her. "I know you're Divergent."

"What?" I looked at her wide eyed. I felt this weight drop on my shoulders, an ice cold hand griped my throat.

"Its okay, so am I," she confessed, a slight smile on her face. "But that's why I need your help."

"How does me being Divergent help you?" If anything it seemed like it would only worsen the situation.

"Because you see things from my point of view. You understand that people like us aren't a threat."

"Do the rest of the leaders know? How did you manage to keep it from them all these years?" I had so many questions that I wanted to asked. I'd never know of any other Divergent besides my brother.

"No, they don't. It's not that difficult to hide from them. Whenever the topic of Divergents comes up, you just have to go along with the conversation, side with them and they won't question where you stand," she informed me.

"So you just pretended you felt the same way about Divergents as they did?" I wouldn't have thought something that simple would work.

"Yeah, of course. This is Dauntless, not Erudite," she chuckled. "But that's why in the upcoming meetings that we have about the plan, you have side in favor for it."

"But how is that going to stop it?"

"Its not. Max has put us too far in the mix with Erudite to even have a chance to stop it." I could see that she was bothered by this. Bothered by the uselessness that came from not being able to save hundreds of innocent people.

"So then what do you need me for?" If we couldn't stop it, then what could I possibly do?

"Damage control. We have to find out who the Daultless-Divergents are and get them out of here." I ran my hand through my hair, taking out my ponytail, letting my hair fall over my shoulders.

"Here?" I asked.

"This city. To the other side of the wall," she looked confused at my lack of understanding.

"There isn't anything on the other side of the wall. And wouldn't it be obvious if people just started to disappear?" I began to play with the hair tie that was threaded around my fingers.

"Not if we fake their death. I've been doing it for years and no one has suspected a thing." Jenn was probably about five to ten years older then me. How many people had she gotten out of this factions unnoticed?

"How would you fake their death?"

She gave me a strange look, as if the answers to the questions I was asking were obvious. "People find a body at the bottom of the chasm that's beat up, unidentifiable and then you have someone who missing, they connect the dots and make assumptions. Like I said, this is Dauntless, not Erudite."

I let her words process as they bounced around my head. A name found its way to the surface of my thoughts and I just had to ask about it. "So you're saying Amar isn't really dead?"