Chapter 2: Duty

~ Duty ~

After taking a quick shower to get rid of the dirt of traveling, I changed into my new uniform. I must say, the person who designed this sure has taste. The black fabric of the jacket hugs my waist, going outwards from there, with little red accents like the ribbon around my neck. The skirt is a little longer, showing my long legs. Matching black boots to finish the outfit. They are a little like the ones I normally wear.

I shake out my long brown hair once, before heading out. Thanks to Yuki's tour earlier I can find the dining room without difficulty. Even without it, it wouldn't have been hard. Sounds of chatter fills the dorm corridors leading me towards the main hall, where the dining room is next to. It also helps that all the girls who are not already there are headed there right now.

"Rachelle!" I hear and I turn towards the noise. I see a girl with light brown hair to her shoulders is coming my way. Her hair is a wavier than Yuki's, though they're probably the same height. They both hardly reach my nose. I wonder how she knows my name since I didn't introduce myself to anyone yet. Then I realize she must be the Yori Yuki was talking about before.

"Hi." I say, not sure what to do exactly. "Are you Yori?"

"Yes!" She smiles, taking my arm without asking. She seems just as nice as Yuki. "I'm so exited to meet you. I've never met someone from the States before."

"Well, New York isn't that special. I like it here better. Much cleaner air you know."

"I bet Japan isn't as exiting as New York though." She says and I almost laugh, knowing she has no idea about the vampires living in the other building. To her they are just a bunch of smart and very good looking people.

We enter the dining hall, which I didn't see from the inside before. It is just as grant as the main hall, with long tables lined up horizontally, filled up with people.

Suddenly, it feels like a knife turns in my stomach. I'm not used to this many people. I'd take killing a vampire over this. Too many people to socialize with. Yori notices my sudden halt and smiles.

"It's not that bad. Everyone is really nice you'll see." That is not what I'm worried about. I like it when I can hear and see everything. I most definitely can't here and I feel vulnerable – I hate it.

"It's not that. I'm just not used to so many people in one room." I say, my eyes already searching the crowd for a familiar face. Which would be only Yuki or Zero.

"You never went to a big school before then?"

"No, I was... home schooled my entire life." Which wasn't a total lie. I was home schooled, just not in the way she thought. But a lot of children in the States get home schooled so that would be a story I should stick to.

Yori didn't respond since she spotted Yuki and Zero sitting to tables away from us. She pulled me with her and literally pushed me on the bench next to Zero and took the seat across from me next to Yuki.

"I see you're all ready for today's job." Zero says, looking at my Committee band strapped around my upper right arm.

"Not that I'm entirely sure what my job is." I reply, tugging the fabric of my skirt. Although I like skirts, I normally wear jeans since it's more comfortable for training.

"You'll find out tonight." He says darkly before returning to his plate. I raise my eyebrow at Yuki, but she just shrugs. Whatever, I guess I will find out soon enough.

"Oh Rachelle, I'll go get us some food, you'll just wait." I was just about to say I can get my own plate, but she already disappeared into a group of girls heading to join the line.