Chapter Nine

Hey! I was in the mood for an update, so here it is! Nope, they do not make up this chapter, but they are getting close!

***

Jack and Norrington pulled the boat onto the sand, grunting slightly. Jack tossed a shovel at Norrington, who caught it with surprise. Elizabeth had out the compass, and I had out my attitude.

"Mind the boat, mind the tide," Jack told Pintel and Ragetti, who were to watch the boat. "Don't touch my dirt." He stalked away with another shovel under his arm.

We were quick to follow, and soon we were watching Elizabeth turn in circles. A few times she had to stop herself from bumping into Jack, who was sitting on the sand, meditating, and finally, she plopped down onto the ground and pouted. I watched her from my vantage point; I was sitting across from Jack, Norrington beside me. I drew the head onto a stick figure in the sand.

"This compass certainly doesn't show what you want most!" She exclaimed, then crossed her arms.

I looked away from my little drawing. The two stick men were having an epic battle with what appeared to be swords. Jack's kohled eyes flew open, and his sharp gaze darted to Elizabeth.

He stood and swayed over to her. "Does so!" He argued, like a five year old. "You're sitting on it!"

Sure enough, the compass, which Elizabeth had thrown to the ground beside her with irritation, was pointing directly at her.

"Pardon?" Elizabeth looked up at him, squinting slightly.

"Move." Jack waved his hands at her, and she scrambled aside. Jack gestured for Norrington to start digging. He did, reluctantly, and I took the shovel from Jack to help. He didn't complain, but sat down and pulled his hat over his eyes.

Norrington and I dug furiously, until there was a sudden thump. We stared at one another over the hole we had made.

Jack jumped up and helped us with his hands; Elizabeth joined him after a brief hesitation. Soon, we had uncovered a fairly large, dirty brown chest.

We heaved it out, then set it on the sand so we could look at it. Jack reached forward and unlatched it. The lid swung open and we gazed inside.

It was full to the brim with letters and a few dried flowers. Elizabeth took out a folded up piece of parchment and opened it. She ran her eyes over it once, then closed it and shut her eyes. "It's a love letter," She whispered.

Jack and Norrington pulled out more and more of the papers, and I read one of the ones Jack had tossed aside.

Dearest,

I think of the day I shall see you again every time I look at the beautiful waves. Seven years left, and I will touch you once more.

I closed it and took a deep breath, a sad and sympathetic air settling over us.

Jack made a sort of ah ha! noise and I turned to look at him again. He and Norrington each had an end of a smaller chest, and they were lifting it out of the large one.

Elizabeth and I closed the sorrow and heartbreak as Jack and Norrington gently placed the small chest onto the large one.

We all leaned forward and put our ears to the wood.

Thump thump, the Dead Man's Chest thumped slowly. We all turned to look at one another. Thump, thump.

"It's real..." Elizabeth breathed.

"You actually were telling the truth." Norrington said dryly, glancing sardonically at Jack.

"I do that quite a lot!" Jack claimed. I rolled my eyes. "You people are always surprised."