Prologue

My name is Lydia Amythest Hayes. I'm 16 years old, and let me be a dear and introduce myself.

My family isn't quite at good terms, and unfortunate for me to say, my parents are divorced. I actually grew up in Los Angeles, California. We used to be a good, healthy family, but all of that is gone. Literally. My life there was fantasticallyyyyyy MISERABLE. So I decided to take off and move here in Australia. Enough about my family, I'll save that stuff for later. I have a job as a barista in Starbucks to make some money for my personal needs like food and all that stuff I need to survive (duh). Living by yourself obviously isn't the easiest, and it gets quite lonely.

Even though I live on my own, I need to take responsibility and go to school. As much as I hate it, I don't want to grow up dumb. I'm a junior in Penrith High School in Sydney, Australia. I absolutely HATE it here. Why don't I move, you may ask? I don't want to waste the time and money of finding somewhere else, and I know that all this school stuff is temporary and the pain will go away once it's all over. Pain, you ask again? Lucas fucking Robert Hemmings. He's bullied me ever since I moved here three years ago. One more year, all this bullshit is over. I've got to admit though, he's quite the charmer. BUT, that's not the point. I was absolutely NOT going to let that perverted, bipolar, stupid, breadstick looking man whore take advatage of me. I'm a strong girl, and I know that. I doubt myself on that thought often. Him and his little "popular group"; Calum, Ashton, Emma, Leslie, and Dylan, are always targeting me, and as much as I want to stand up for myself, I can't. They'll make fun of me again. Hurt me, abuse me, anything to cause my life a living hell. This has been going on for THREE YEARS.

Which is thankful that I have Michael and Kelsey as my best friends. They were the very first friends I've made at this shit of a school, and the only ones I've made. They've helped me through my worst times, and was there when I almost ended my stupid life. They were there when Luke caused me pain. They were there to fix me up when things went terribly wrong. They were there when I couldn't take it anymore and I needed shoulders to cry on. They were the ones that always listened to what I had to say and gave their honest opinions. They were there to cheer me up, and I'm grateful that they actually tolerate me due to my annoying sense of humor and personality. They love all the things I hate about myself, and I appreciate them so much. They've saved me. We've went through ups and downs, but we never, ever, stayed mad at each other for long. They're my brother and sister, but closer. I love them so much, more than they can ever imagine.

Back to what I was saying about my bully, again, Luke. He was the complete opposite of everything I loved in a person. Rude, arrogant, no respect. I still have bruises and scars from where him and his group have almost killed me, but not all of them were made from them. I self-harmed because of him. I almost ended everything because of him. I don't know why he does this. I'll confront him someday. Find out why he hates me, why he abuses me. He's so mysterious most of the time, which makes me interested in a way to get to know him. Some days when I was in book club with Kelsey and Mikey after school, I've always spotted Luke hiding, watching me. I've noticed he's been also following me home sometimes, thinking that I don't even know he's there, but I do. Ironically, he lives across the street from me, and I try my best to avoid him and stay inside. Deep down, I've had feelings for this boy, but my hatred for what he's done to me covers up that hole that I so desperately want to feel.

I hate him, but maybe,

Just maybe,

He doesn't really hate me after all.

This is my story.