The Ranger's Prophecy

It was daylight, and a young, slightly built Ranger was shooting arrows at a marked spot on a log with his longbow beside his cabin. He barely missed the target --- hitting only a few inches away from the marked spot. He wore a dark green cloak with a hood that covered his brushed up blonde hair, and casted a shadow upon his obsidian eyes, and slightly crooked nose. All anyone could see was his humorless mouth. He is small in height, but so are most of the other Rangers. He slung is massive longbow over his shoulder after shooting his last perfect shot. He is the Ranger of Belmoor. His name is Athan Belk.

* * *

     Athan rode Link, his ranger horse, to the castle where he was needed. The guard stopped him, "Identify." he demanded. "Ranger Athan," he said grimly. "Are you the one they call 'The Hooded Ranger?'" the guard asked. The Ranger didn't reply and moved forward to the castle stable where he can tether Link. The guard hesitated, "Please hurry, the King is waiting." Athan then entered the large castle.

     The grim Ranger climbed the luxurious stairs to the King's chamber. As he opened the door, he saw the King looking out the window with both hands behind his back. King Olaf wore an average golden crown and a lavish red robe. He had deep brown eyes and gray hair. His mouth was almost covered by his gray beard. The King didn't notice Athan enter the room until he spoke. "You needed me, your Grace?" the Ranger asked instantly. King Olaf was startled, "My God, Athan!" the King exclaimed with his deep voice, "You scared the living hell out of me!" Athan didn't reply and the King continued. "There were reports of a wizard from the East in Aramont." The Ranger gestured for him to continue. "His name is Felix," the King scratched his beard thoughtfully "and men have been disappearing every night. We suspect that this is that damned wizard's doing." the King's eyes were filled with anger.
"What do you want me to do about it?" Athan asked, though he already knew the answer.
"I want you to go to Aramont and find out what the devil is going on." King Olaf replied.

* * *

     Athan rode Link to the East the next day. No one knew that he left Belmoor but the King. It was scorching hot, so he pulled up his hood to conceal himself from the heat.. He rode for 2 days under the hot sun in the forest.

     Athan took a sip from his water pouch when Link's ears twitched. The Ranger Horse is trained to sense danger or when a stranger is near. He touched the back of his ears to let him know he got the message. Then all of a sudden, a pack of wild orcs came out from the bushes with battleaxes and circled the Ranger. He then got an arrow from his quiver and nocked it on his bowstring.

     "Damn," Athan muttered to himself getting ready to fight. The biggest of the orcs ran towards him, shouting an orcish battlecry. At once, he shot the arrow at the orc sending him sprawling to the ground, dead. And with uncanny speed, Athan sent three more arrows flying to different orcs, killing them. Only rangers had the ability to be that agile. Only one orc was left standing. The orc was shivering and his heartbeat was extremely fast. While the Ranger, who already had an arrow nocked on his bowstring, was calm and looking at the orc coldly. The orc ran towards him circling his battleaxe in the air. Effortlessly, and with great speed, Athan replaced his arrow back in his quiver and got a throwing knife from his belt. He held the edge of his knife back and threw it at the charging orc, sending it spinning in the air, hitting the orc in between the eyes --- dead.

* * *

     King Olaf was sitting at his desk, brainstorming what the wizard, Felix, was doing with the missing men when his advisor entered the room with ease. He had long, hazel hair, and deep gray eyes. His faded wrinkles and crinkled forehead told people he was in his mid-40s.