Chapter 1

All my life I was told by mother, my only mother to obey and follow the rules. She is my rock, my foundation, my everything. That is until she died in a car accident due to drunk driving.

I never knew that she was a drinker. Apparently she was a heavy drinker, an alcoholic.

The day she died I was going trough her closet and came across a box. Curious I grabbed the box and opened it. I couldn't believe my eyes! There were stainless steel flasks and only one was full. There were about 20 in there. She had always hid it from me. But how?

Why hadn't I ever seen her put a drink to her lips?

A few days after the funeral I received a letter. As I looked closely at who it was from my heart skipped a beat.

To: Elizabeth Grey
From: Henry Grey

It was from my father. When I was only in middle school, my parents split up and eventually got divorced. I was truly devastated. My mom own custody over me and my father moved all the way across the country to New York. I haven't heard from my father since. Sure, he would send birthday cards with cash, but it was never enough for me. So I continued to open the letter.

Dear Elizabeth,

Hi. I feel so sorry about your mothers death. I have no idea of what you can possibly be going trough.

IF something like this were to happen, like how your mother died, we both agreed before the divorce that you would come to live with me.

I was shocked at reading this. I didn't want to live with my father. He lived across the country for Christs sake! I continued to read the letter.

Now I understand, that you will be making a big move here to New York. My butler will come to California to pick you up on Thursday the 12. I was able to transfer your transcripts to go to College here, so don't worry about that.

Thank you and I can't wait to see you.

Love,
Dad

I was at a loss for words. How can this happen? Just last week I was with my mother happily together for dinner.

I couldn't help crying although I told myself that I wouldn't. Upset, I called my boyfriend to tell him the news.

"Hello" he said.

"Hi, James can you come over? I have to tell you something important." I asked sighing.

"Yeah sure I'll be right over. Is everything okay?" He asked gently.

"Yeah but I really need to talk to you." I said

"Oh ok I'll see you there" and he hung up.

While waiting for him to come I fixed my hair and changed into jeans and a sweatshirt. Just as I sat down the doorbell rang.

"Hey" James greeted.

"Hi" he followed after me into the living room to sit down. He had a small smile on his lips. He is so handsome. I don't know why he chose me to be his girlfriend. Noticing that I was down, he frowned and pulled me into a hug.

I didn't hug him back, just took in his scent and sighed.

"You're not breaking up with me right?" He asked worried. He pulled away and looked at me in the eyes. When I didn't answer he stood up and started pacing around. I can see the sad look on his face. He kept running his hands through his hair.

"I'm not breaking up with you. But," I started explaining.

"But what Beth" he said sitting back down and grabbing both of my hands.