the boy.

he was alone.

he was always alone.

he didn't like being alone but that's what he was.

alone.

he walked down the road until he found the house with the number, 4, it was his lucky number, he didn't know why, but it was.

he walked down a different street every night and always went to house number four.

nobody knew he did this. he didn't know why he did this.

it was important that nobody knew. his mother would be worried sick and his brothers would call him a freak for wanting to roam the streets alone at midnight.

he picked the highest window of the house which was a small circle on a slanted piece of the house that jutted out at an odd angle. the boy took the pair of balled socks out of his black jansport rucksack and placed a small pebble inside which he'd found on the deserted road on which he was stood - the stone looked like a vibrant jade in the house's porch light but was almost jet black when it was out of the light's beam.

he threw the socks and the enclosed pebble at the window. they made a small thud and within seconds a light flickered on in the room behind the crimson curtains.

the curtains were drawn apart and there was a black silhouette of a gangishly tall figure with a mop stuck to his head.

the window slid up and out popped a boy's head with wistful, fluffy curls that touched his shoulders and must feel nice and soft to the touch, but they must tickle his neck surely? his thick eyebrows were furrowed together joining in the middle, knitted with confusion, his plush red rosy lips set in a small frown.

"hiya Curly, 'm Louis" the lone boy called out with a grin and he sat down on the grass with a flourish, crossing his legs like a schoolboy.

the curly haired boy slowly turned his head to look left down the deserted street, and right, doing the same twice each side then stared intensely at the obviously lone boy sat on his front lawn.

a raspy voiced came from the tall, curly haired boy and asked the obvious question of "are you alone?"

"alone except for you" he replied with a cheeky grin.

Curly replied to the nonexistent question with an anxious "who are you?" to which Louis replied with "'m Louis I've already told you c'mon Curly keep up!"

"c'mon Curly lets go or we'll be late " he said with a boyish grin.

"let's go where?" Curly replied lifting a long, toned arm and raking his long, thin fingers through his long curls.

"anywhere" Louis replied getting up from the dewy grass and shifting his weight from one leg to the other.

"can I trust you?" asked Curly as he stared at the stranger on his front lawn, now noticing that his radiant face was the only light on the pitch black road apart from a few flickering lamp posts further down the street that didn't work anymore because some boys had climbed up the posts and smashed the lights. Curly hated when they did that, it was reckless and annoying. Curly didn't like reckless and annoying.

"Dunno" replied the boy, his smug grin never leaving his face.

Curly then asked a question that obviously appeared to be odd to the boy on his lawn. he asked "are you reckless and annoying?"

to which the grinning boy replied "no" with a small chuckle "are you coming or not then?"

"okay I'll be down in a minute" replied Curly.

"well hurry or we'll get there late"

"get where late?"

"I already told you where we're going - anywhere. and if we don't get going soon Curly we'll be late for anything in anywhere"

"okay, okay, I'm coming"

the boy on the grass waited for a minute or so twiddling his thumbs for what felt like eternity when he heard a creak of the weathered door and jerked his head up.

Curly slowly stepped of the front porch onto the grass which was wet with dew. he was wearing womens running shorts that had pink and white hearts up the sides, a plain black shirt with the sleeves rolled up a couple of times and pink flip flops.

Louis had to bite his cheek to stop himself from giggling at what curly was wearing.

he wanted to laugh but he also wanted to cry.

that's how Curly made him feel and he'd only know him for 10 minutes.

"c'mon then let's get going" Louis said with yet another boyish grin as he giggled at the tall curly haired stranger wearing the female clothes, with his luscious curls now tied up in a bun with a hair tie.

Curly yawned loudly and opened his mouth so wide that Louis could see the dangly bit and the back of his throat.

"I'll come but I'm not walking fast, I'm tired" Curly said groggily.

"fine by me Curly, fine by me" replied Louis.