Chapter 24

"I assume your army went off on their own quests," Stephan guessed, taking a step toward Garth. The prince immediately unsheathed his sword and pointed it at Stephan.

"Keep back," he warned. Stephan chuckled.

"Alright." He held his bloody hands up in the air, the red liquid dripping off his palms. Garth's expression changed to disgust for only a moment, but Stephan noticed. He glanced at his hands.

"Curious as to whose blood this is?" Garth glanced at Stephan's suit and hands, almost compelled to ask. Stephan's grin grew. "Hint, it is the same blood on the walls," he said, reading Garth's thoughts. Garth lowered his sword slightly, keeping his eyes on the former prince.

"Does the blood have a purpose?" he asked. Stephan put his hands down, still smiling.

"Most definitely. It will help me change sides." Garth cocked his head, not understanding. Stephan moved like lightning, Garth not having enough time to react. He disarmed Garth and slit his wrist, red blood spilling out. Garth backed away, holding the wound while Stephan cackled.

"I've been learning this spell ever since I met you and Lilac in school, just in case things didn't work out. Now it's almost complete and no one is standing in my way."

"No one but us." Garth looked up and his eyes bulged. Edward ran in with a fire in his eyes, covered from head to toe in reddish-purple blood. Amanda followed close beside him, the same determined look in her eye and blood on her dress. Richard and Isabella ran in, winded and drenched in sweat. Scar and Vicky came in too, drenched in water and the smiles of murderers on their faces.

"Mm, pity," Stephan responded. "I was hoping to actually put up graves for each of you." Scar snarled, reminding Garth of the times he was a wolf.

"Sorry to bum you out," Isabella replied with a cold stare. "You're not going to be Good any time soon." Garth glanced at Stephan, then the wound he was protecting.

"You need my blood to become Good?" he gagged, goggling his eyes at Stephan. Goldie gave him a sideways glance with a grin.

"Not just yours," he said, shifting his gaze to Lilac. Garth stared at her, the princess slowly getting to her feet. He stared at Stephan's suit, realizing who the blood belonged to. The boy grinned devilishly as the prince continued to stare.

"Worst time to start coming to realizations." Stephan's finger glowed brightly. The six teens in front of him charged, swords drawn. He waved his hand and the flames around the wall blocked off their path. This gave Garth enough time to grab his sword.

He swung, but Stephan blocked with a scimitar he hadn't noticed before. They broke away and charged again, blades clashing. They kept going back and forth, almost equal in skill and ferocity. The battle would tip in favor of one side and switch to the other almost immediately.

Stephan blocked another strike, backing up. Garth saw his opening. He kept striking Stephan, the boy backing away farther and farther. Closer to the flames. Their swords locked.

"I'm finishing you now," Garth grunted, not backing down. Stephan smiled cruelly.

"Funny how you think you're winning," he responded. Garth didn't let his guard down. They broke away and Garth struck. Instantly, Stephan stepped out of the way.

Garth fell, but he didn't hit stone. Instead, he fell into the steaming cauldron of red fluid he had failed to notice. As he sank into the liquid, he tried to keep from screaming, keeping as much air as possible. The fluid burned his skin. He struggled to swim to the surface, finding the liquid to be much thicker than water.