Chapter Thirty-Nine

<Anthony>

I watched sadly as the twins came home from another day at the school, their eyes both dark and filled with grief. Emily couldn't seem to get over Elijah's lost memories, the fact that he still was unable to remember who anyone was yet, although the doctor's seemed hopeful that he could regain them with time and a little luck.

It was Matthew that seemed the most lost of the two though. He'd been the one to remain closest to his mother, remaining by Shina's side as Emily grew closer to her father instead. It was painful to watch him hold back the tears every time he looked out into the garden, knowing he was remembering the time he spent with her out there.

It was even harder seeing Elijah look at picture after picture of his wife and children with blank eyes, seeing the lack of recognition as he would trace his fingers over Shina's features. It was like he was trying to recall something, anything at all, but it was locked away and none of us had the key.

I could only pray that Shina would find a way back to us, before the family fell apart without her here to hold everything together. I'd never realized just how much her presence impacted everything, both as a member of the family and as the person who had kept everything moving forward.

Ever since she'd vanished at the hospital, it seemed like the whole world had started falling apart. Even for me.

--------

<Shina>

How long had it been? How many weeks? Or had it been months now? Had my husband given up on me? No, no. Elijah would never give up on me. Would he? No. I mustn't doubt him, not now. Elijah... Where are you?

I lay there, unable to sleep with the thoughts whirling through my mind. I shivered as I felt his body shifting beside me, his leg shifting under the blankets to curl over my own, trapping me in place. Not that he needed to trap me more than I already was. He didn't even need to drug me anymore, since all I did now was go between the bedroom and the bathroom all day.

I didn't even step foot elsewhere, since the last time I'd even tried, he had been standing there waiting for me. The punishment I'd received, although nothing physically damaging, had been enough to leave me scared of the mere thought of trying again.

The Leon that was keeping me here, was not the same as the Leon I had once known. This one was willing to do almost anything to keep me.

And I found him terrifying.