Chapter Seventeen

I could feel small beads of sweat forming on the back of my neck from the now glaring sun shining. Even inside, it shone brightly through the windows.
    "Good afternoon, gentlemen," I said as I walked over to Hale and Leeland. Thy had been cornered by two advisers who were asking them about the budgets for the homeless funds. 
    "Good afternoon, you Highness." Said Sir Rombund, followed by Sir Chancekell. 
    "Good afternoon, Princess Eadlyn," Hale said as he kissed my hand gently. Nice start, I thought to myself. Leeland said the same but much quieter, he seemed afraid. Frankly I wasn't surprised.
    "Now, Princess Eadlyn, I was wondering if you thought we should disperse the $20 000 over 6 months or use it now to buy the tinned food in bulk now?" Asked Sir Chancekell.
    "What do you think, Leeland?"
   "I, um, I think we should disperse it?"
    I decided to test him. "Why?"
   "I, uh don't really know." He really wasn't doing so well.
    "I think that perhaps you should have studied the notes I gave you a bit more, yes?"
    "I, yes."
    "Hale, what do you think." He perked up a little and cleared his throat.
    "I think we should disperse he budget because the prices for food have risen due to the new taxes that have been set. It would be more beneficial as it would save more money and allow us to purchase more stock."
    Little did he know that Dad had snuck up behind us. "Very well said, Mr Garner. If you don't win, I might just have to offer you a position for financial adviser."
    "Thank you, King Maxon. That means a great deal to me." Hale was beaming. Leeland on the other hand, had shied away and looked rather embarrassed.

    "Hale, may I grab you for a moment?" I asked.
    "Certainly, Princess Eadlyn," he immediately offered his arm.
    "Let's go to the rose garden, it's a beautiful day."

    "That sounds wonderful."
    "Look, over there, cameras. Smile. Look like you're laughing."

    Hale faked a laugh as we strode past the photographers, I did the same. "I wish they wouldn't stalk us."
     "I know, but it gets easier. You'll see."
     "What do you mean?"

     "I mean, you'll be going through to the top five. I really like you Hale. More than I would care to admit."
     "Really? Thank you, Eadlyn. I really like you too."

     "So, what are you going to prove to me today?"

     "I can prove to you that I really like you." He laced his strong hands through mine. "Can I, you know?"
     I nodded, and he kissed me. It was so gentle, sweet. I felt like he was cradling me gently, shielding me from all the bad things in the world, holding me. I felt like I was floating.

    He placed his hand on my shoulder and pulled away for a second. "Are you ok? Is this what you want, because I don't want to rush you."
    "Yes. I'm fine."

    Hale embraced me, and I felt his strong muscles underneath his navy blue suit and crisp shirt. I realised something, I was falling in love with him, and I didn't know if I could do anything about it. Hale risked himself for me, he genuinely cared for me and he wasn't going anywhere if he could help it.

     We stayed in the rose garden for a while, he held me, rubbing my arms gently, and not saying a word. We didn't need to, and everything felt perfect for that short while. Hale decided to break the silence. "I really like you more than you know, and I will do anything to stay here, but I hate dating you like this. Sharing."
    "I know, I don't like it either but either are like, eight other people here competing for the same thing. You have to give me some time," I replied. Even if I was starting to have feelings for Hale, there were others here too. I couldn't fully give myself to someone while others were trying to do the same.
    "Are you sending someone home soon? I was looking through the newspapers and the public want some drama."
    "I know, everyone has been nagging me about it. Even Mom."
    "You don't have to do everything by the public you know, this is your future marriage."

    "Yeah, I have someone in mind. He was really struggling today, and I'm not sure he can handle conferences and things like that. Too much pressure."

    "I get it."

    "We should probably be heading back," Hale said.
    "You're probably right. More discussions with grumpy old men. Yay!"

    "Nice use of sarcasm."

    "Why, thank you. I take pride in my use of sarcasm, I'm a professional, you know," I replied, smiling. I looped my arm through his and we headed back to the palace.