Chapter 1

I felt a slight poke on my cheek and then lots of giggles, which means it's my younger sister, Teresa. She had calf brown hair like mine but slightly lighter and she had sea blue eye while my eyes were more brown and she had one of her poker dotted dress on.

"Good morning, sleepyhead."

"Good morning too, Teresa." I said without opening my eyes, I feel another poke.

"What do you want, Teresa." I was slightly bother by her pestering me.

"I want you awake so you can play with me, so wake up." Teresa ordered. "Please."

"Okay, okay."

"Yay!" She yelled, shortly before doing her victory dance, which was pretty much her waving her arms and legs about in the air.

I slowly opened my eyes and was shocked by what I saw.

"Happy birthday, Jake!" The cheered and throw confetti everywhere.

I had completely forgotten that it was my birthday today, how stupid do you have to be when you forget your our birthday, it is okay to forget other people's birthdays but it is not okay to forget your own.

"You remembered."

"Of course we remembered." Mum said before landing one of her wet kisses on my forehead.

"Mum, can you please don't kiss me that's childish, I'm eighteen now, I think."

"Okay fine, but will a hug do." Mum asked and I nodded and she hugged me.

"Okay, one, a two, a three, a one two three four."

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Jake, happy birthday to youuuuuuuuuuuu." They sang. I was just blown away.

"Open this one first." Mum said cooly and gestured to my gift that she got me.It large green and blue swirly patterns on it and the bow was make of leather, the box had holes in it and I swear I heard a dog yelp in it.

As I slowly unwrap it the bow undid, a brown and yellow flashes jumped on to me and started licking my face with it wet, rough tongue and I can feel it's little claws dig into my arm.

I tried to look at it, but it lick fiercely, I wrestle it away from my face a bit and it was a puppy. It was so cute and I stroked it small smooth brown coat and scratch behind it pricked ears, It's eyes were piecing green and it's long tongue was well, a tongue.

"It is a kelpie, it's mother only stopped feeding him two weeks ago and two days after that she got hit by a car and died, so I think he needed someone to look after him and care for him and play with him."

I eventually calmed him down and it snuggle up it my toasty bed, right next to my body.

"Well are you going to give it a name or what."

I thought hard and came up with one. "How about we call him........ Daniel."

"Here open this one, please." Teresa handed me her gift and it was a letter that had a rough texture and was quite light and it contained a card and it the card was ten dollars and some writing.

It wrote. "Hope you have a great birthday and have lots of fun with Teresa and your presents. Love from mum, dad and Teresa."

"What's that sound." Mum said curiously and tried to look for the source of it, I looked down and the Daniel was snoring, he was so cute when he was snoring, but Daniel got spooked and his head shot up and his eyes looked back and forth, trying to find something, but he couldn't find it and went back to sleep.