Chapter 2

The hot water of the shower was a good break from the harsh Colorado winter. I stayed in the crappy cabin shower for as long as possible before wrapping a towel around my still wet body and making my way across the hall to my bedroom. I quickly got dressed, careful not to freeze. I heard my door open and turned to see Elizabeth, one of my other bestfriends. "Morning." I said similing. She plopped down on my bed and sighed. "What's wrong?" I asked, sitting down next to her on the bed. "I miss my family." She replied somberly. We all missed our families. After Korea had bombed the US this summer and our group had escaped to Colorado, none of us knew the whereabouts of our families and friends. Elizabeth especially missed her fiance Matt. He had gone missing in October after a hunt for other rogue groups like ours along with the other Matt. Elizabeth had been admiringly strong for losing Matt on top of being 3 months pregnant. I highly doubted any of us would have been that strong in the same situation. I turned and hugged her. "We'll find them." I promised. I felt her start crying and I hugged her tighter. We stayed like that for a while, moving only when my still wet hair had formed a small puddle on the back of my shirt. I pulled away and grabbed her hand, helping her off the bed. We walked down stairs into the large livingroom, where everyone was sitting, hoping the small fire in the fireplace would keep them warm. We sat down on one of the 3 couches next to Luca, Mitch and Garry, who had just woken up. I felt Luca put his arm around my shoulder and he pulled me into him. He smelled like soap and I closed my eyes, feeling almost as if we weren't in the middle of an apocalypse. Even though Luca and I hadn't been together before the bombing, something about laying on his chest reminded me of home. I buried my face in his shirt and with his arms tightening around my shoulders, I soon found myself falling asleep.