18 - Charcoal Stone

From up on a tall ridge, Kin could see them in the distance: the large, blue shadows of the mountains that separated them from the coast. Between them and the mountains lay rolling grey hills of grass, broken up by dark patches of trees and a sparkling river that flowed from the mountains, through the city, and cut country nearly in half. Behind them, they could see the whole of the city, spread out from the river on either side.

When Kin was young and traveling to stay with his brother or to see Meira, this spot – the first view of the city over the hills – would always fill him with joy and excitement. Like taking a breath of fresh air after leaving a stale room, or the first sip of cool water on a hot day, it was always refreshing to be back in the place he loved, with the people he was closest to. And when he returned to his small home town, he'd always look back at the same view as if he was memorizing the layout of the city in case he'd never see her again, and he would begin the long trip home, counting the days until he could return.

Now as Kin looked back from where he'd come, at the loud and bustling town, he felt only loneliness. He left behind no one he loved, and he would not be returning home to the embrace of family. The city he once loved, was now just a city, and his home was a graveyard. Nothing remained for him.

"Kin?" Nell had been silent as they wove through the crowded streets and as they ascended the ridge on horseback. She now waited for him further up the road. Her chestnut mare patted the dirt, impatient to keep moving while Nell held her still.

He pulled the reins, turning his own mount around to face her. "Sorry. We can go."

As he caught up with her, intending to take the lead, she guided her horse to his side. The path, though overgrown more than he remembered, was just wide enough to ride next to each other.

This time, the silence did not last longer than a minute. Nell, who had been watching him nearly since they left, looked out at the mountains that were still visible in the distance. "I know where we're going," she said.

"Do you?" He hitched a brow as he looked at her. The bright sun made her hair look even paler than before, like the daylight was sapping the color from it.

Nell tucked a strand back away from her eyes. "You said your home is not far from here."

Kin turned away again to watch the dirt pass under them. "It's no longer my home. And that's not where we're going."

"Oh? Then where?"

His stomach turned, and even the thought of the place made him want to head back for town and forget about the whole trip. After ten years, how could he go back?

Kin slid his hat from his hair to let the blond mess bathe in the sun for a while, and he tucked the hat away under his thigh where he wouldn't lose it in the strong gusts of wind that swept over the hills. "So I noticed you and Lettie seemed to be getting along better?"

The question worked surprisingly well at changing the topic as she was already distracted by her blowing hair. Despite her best efforts to keep it in pace, it whipped around her face, catching on her lips and eyelashes and tickling her nose. "Lettie's nice" – she sneezed and rubbed her reddening nose with the palm of her hand – "I just...I think I was jealous."

Kin snorted which Nell didn't hear over her second sneeze. It had been a very long time since Kin worried about something as small as a sneeze, but with Nell, each sniffle could quickly become something more dangerous. He didn't want anything to happen to her while she was under his protection. "You're not sick, right?"

"No." Nell waved his concern off with a flick of her wrist. "It's just this damn wind."

They continued in silence as Nell finally gave in to the strong gusts and let her hair fly freely. At least the direction had changed and it now pushed her lavender locks behind her instead of forward. Still, Kin wished he had something to tie her hair back with, or at least something to warm her as she began to shiver. Even his robe would crush her under its weight. If she got sick, it would be his own fault for dragging her along on his own pointless and dread-filled journey.