Chapter 4: The Owner and the Disco Ball

The two of us sit in silence but it's uncomfortable, asphyxiating. The song on the radio suddenly slows down and then distorts, overlapping with itself.

。⁠•̀✧

"Guess what!", May runs to me, jumping up and down while holding her bike on the side. I eye her suspiciously, unlocking my own bike. "Guess what, guess what, guess what!".

"Hmm, let's see", I pretend to be in deep thought, securing Sierra on her bike stand. "You finally got over the broken lamp incident?".

"No, never", she shakes her head in disapproval but I can tell she almost considered it. I try not to snort as she points at the space between us. "You and I, we've got plans tonight".

"That's funny, I don't remember us planning anything", I mumble as we walk through a crowd of students in the parking lot. May bites her lip.

"Yeah.. that's probably because you weren't there", she hints but I still look at her dumbfounded. "So.. I may, or may not, have arranged a Mamma Mia! movie–sing along night with the cool kids. Please don't kill me!".

I slam the brake on my bike, the screeching sound echoing in the parking lot.

"You did what?!'', I gasp involuntarily as May looks at the annoyed students around us apologetically.

"Okay, I know, it was very spontaneous. See what I did there?", she laughs proudly at the usage of Harry Bright's favorite word in the movie and I fight back my smile like my life depends on it. "Oh, you wanna laugh so bad".

"I don't know what you're talking about", I press my lips into a thin line, shaking my head in denial. "It was a horrible joke".

"And you're a horrible liar", she sings, bumping her shoulder with mine and I roll my eyes, giving in with a smile. "It's a fun way to get to know someone if you think about it. Look, I'll cook some greek food, Dean will talk to Gavin about keeping Silver Star open for us and you c—".

"You're having it at Silver Star?", I gasp, my heart racing at the mere mention of it.

"Yeah", May shrugs with a pout. "I don't see the problem".

"The problem is I'm an awkward hermit", I reply, my tone defensive yet playful. "I barely know these people. How am I supposed to interact with them and Gavin without making an absolute fool of myself?".

"Beth, please, alright? You could never be an awkward hermit", her glowing face gets gloomy for a second, the idea of me selling myself short appalling to her. "It'll be fun, I promise, just paint a picture with me here. We'll have some food, sing out of tune, maybe dance a little bit, and we can all bring a cushion or fairy lights to decorate the place and–"

"We could all dress up for it", I cut her off with a  mumble. May and I look at each other, eyes wide and glistening. "That could be the price of admission. It doesn't have to be extravagant, even a hat will do".

"Oh, my God", she looks at me with pride. "Is it me or are you actually excited for this?". I roll my eyes despite the spark of excitement in my chest.

"Absolutely not".

"Uh-huh. Fine", she mumbles knowingly, her smirk growing. "Guess I won't tell Gavin you said hi".

I shrug despite my heart skipping a beat at the bare mention of his name. "Who gives a fuck?".

"I won't even mention your name", she teases and I let out a gasp.

"You are diabolical".

"Who knows? Maybe I'll even partner up with his new employee for a song, who you're so very fond of", she hints at the new guy and my blood boils at the idea of him corrupting my best friend just by being near her.